Would like an angel

Laura H.
on 9/15/12 12:43 pm - Canada
 Hi,  I am having surgery Tuesday and would like an angel.  Any volunteers?  You will  get your wings.  LOL

Laura H.

mermaidz
on 9/15/12 7:00 am, edited 9/15/12 7:08 am - Brampton, Canada
HI ya Laura

I see you're having surgery at the Finch site. What a lucky girl you are!. I'll tell you why for a few reasons.

First of all, you have Dr. Huynh. He is as wonderfully patient and supportive as they come. I can also tell you from personal experience that he is very "gentle" with your body and the surgery itself. Why do I say that? Because after the first nite, I had little to no pain at all and have had only minor "pinches" since and given that it's pretty major surgery. :O)

Secondly, the nurses at the Finch are awesome!. They truly do take the time to do the much needed patient-teaching with you. They were very diligent at ensuring I remained pain free but you also have to ask if you are in pain. Morphine and gravol are the standard post-op so take advantage of it.. it's free  As a former nurse myself, my standards are very high when it comes to care and these ladies and gentleman are truly very good at what they do. They won't let you suffer and what ever you need a hand with, they will be right there.  Don't worry ok?

The first part of the journey, getting registered and that, is a bit of an assembly line process but just breathe through it and be zen. Then a porter takes you down stairs and you meet the anaesthetist.

Mine was an older gentleman with gray hair and wonderful soft brown eyes who tried very hard to put an IV in in the least inconvenient place. HE was a total sweetheart.

But do speak up if you need something.  The more you do for yourself the better you will be so get up and walk, even if you don't feel like it. And when you have to get up and walk around, you just might bump into some other bariatric patients lol Funny how your first question might be "So have you farted yet?" lol.. Only place in the world where it's important dammit! lol

Surprisingly. your focus will be drinking, peeing and fluffing.They want to make sure all that "new wiring" is good to go.

You will be asked to measure your "input and output". The first few hours is jus****er/ice chips and you drink it from a medicine cup. But only 15ml or half every 15 minutes. You'll be in great shape if you can keep that pace up because even though you have an I.V, you need to get your "parts" working . The nurses give you a sheet where you can keep track of what you drank.  You also have to pee into a "hat" so they can see that what is going in is coming out.:O)  You'll be hooked up to an I.V., possibly a 02 sat machine and maybe Oxygen. Going  to the bathroom WILL be an adventure lol especially after the morphine shot lol

I am unsure if this is also standard post-op but you might be taught how to give your own Heparin injection. lol it doesn't hurt at all. In fact I was surprised but it does leave you with an interesting array of bruising.lol

You will be seen  by Dr Huynh's interns and residents. All very handsome polite men. They'll be asking you intimate questions like have you had a poop or farted lol..

The dietician, Janet, will also come by and visit with you to make sure you have alllll your vitamins, foods purchased, explain what sequence to eat in and all things dietary. Truly she's a very good resource. I made notes while we were talking and she does give you some hand outs to remind yourself by.

The Finch is an old hospital. But the staff are truly great.

And from what I have seen on this forum, your post-op should be a breeze as well because you're coming out of the Finch.

Long ago they gave us a book on what to eat post surgery. You might wanna dig that out because it will be your bible for the next few days until you get into your own groove. Do get your groceries, vitamins etc before you go in, luv.

On the day of your discharge, they give you a prescription that you can get filled in the same building where we have been going for all of our pre-op appts? 2115 Finch? There's a pharmacy in there that have the Herparin Injection.  I'm not sure if everyone's discharge prescription is different or the same..... Anyhow, on mine were:   B12 vitamins, Multivites, Calcium, Prevacid and Heparin pre-filled injections. (The prevacid is to prevent your new "food passage" from getting ulcers. It's chewable or disolvable) I scratched off the vitamins because I already have shares in Jamieson Chewables lol

You're having your surgery done in a great place by a great doc .. and you have great nurses looking after you (In fact please tell them hello from Dar the blonde.. they'll know who that is lol.. I used to sleep BUCK nekkie cuz the room was too warm for me )

big big hugs...you're gonnna do great kiddo!.. honest!

from 10 days post-op .. same bat channel.. lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Monica9811
on 9/15/12 3:10 pm - Peterborough, Canada
Thank you for that wonderful reply-just to read that made me feel even better!  I have the same doctor even though I don't have my appt yet it is nice to know you feel so positive.  I hope it is ok to add you as a friend for support.  Good luck on your journey!
mermaidz
on 9/15/12 5:26 pm - Brampton, Canada
On September 15, 2012 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, Monica9811 wrote:
Thank you for that wonderful reply-just to read that made me feel even better!  I have the same doctor even though I don't have my appt yet it is nice to know you feel so positive.  I hope it is ok to add you as a friend for support.  Good luck on your journey!
I'd feel honoured if you did Monica! thank you!

And good luck on yours too!

Laura H.
on 9/15/12 7:50 pm - Canada
 Thank you for your post.  It was great and answered a lot of my questions.  Were you prescribed pain medication for when you get home?  I think I am going to get some tylenol suppositories as I have heard you dump on the liquid.  I really, really appreciate your wonderful post and feel better.  Especially when I first came on this site and there was such negative talk about Dr. Huynh.  I got nervous but I am not now.

Laura H.

mermaidz
on 9/15/12 8:09 pm - Brampton, Canada
On September 16, 2012 at 2:50 AM Pacific Time, Laura H. wrote:
 Thank you for your post.  It was great and answered a lot of my questions.  Were you prescribed pain medication for when you get home?  I think I am going to get some tylenol suppositories as I have heard you dump on the liquid.  I really, really appreciate your wonderful post and feel better.  Especially when I first came on this site and there was such negative talk about Dr. Huynh.  I got nervous but I am not now.
I think they do send you home with liquid Tylenol as part of that massive load of prescriptions but not everyone "dumps" on it. It is pretty sweet (blech!)

You'll get a taste of it in the hospital because it's actually prescribed for you every 8 hours.hmm.. I think.

Just keep in mind if you don't want to take it, you can "refuse" it.  I found I really wasn't in that much pain post operatively because everyone is different.

Dr Huynh is truly very kind and he actually has a great sense of humour.. Just be the wonderful you and you'll "see"

Good luck and if you need anything or have any other questions, ya know where I am

(( hugs ))

CoffeeLady1975
on 9/15/12 2:40 pm - Canada
 Just having my surgery this past Wed, I agree completely with Mermaidz.  Dr. Huynh resident is currently a lovely lady however .  Night number 2 post-op was the hardest at least for me it was.  My stomach was bloated with gas and my pain was escalating.  My nurses Joline (sp?) and Lorraine were awesome.  If you have lots of gas and pain ask for a dose of pain medication and hot blankets (they are in the recovery room - FYI) put one on your lower belly and one on your back you'll be fluffing in no time and that helps get rid of the gas pains quickly.  

I'm still feeling a bit like road kill, I am only three days post-op and am feeling better everday.  Walk as much as you can and sip at your water, you'll feel better quicker.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery, you are in good hands!

mermaidz
on 9/15/12 5:24 pm - Brampton, Canada
On September 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, CoffeeLady1975 wrote:
 Just having my surgery this past Wed, I agree completely with Mermaidz.  Dr. Huynh resident is currently a lovely lady however .  Night number 2 post-op was the hardest at least for me it was.  My stomach was bloated with gas and my pain was escalating.  My nurses Joline (sp?) and Lorraine were awesome.  If you have lots of gas and pain ask for a dose of pain medication and hot blankets (they are in the recovery room - FYI) put one on your lower belly and one on your back you'll be fluffing in no time and that helps get rid of the gas pains quickly.  

I'm still feeling a bit like road kill, I am only three days post-op and am feeling better everday.  Walk as much as you can and sip at your water, you'll feel better quicker.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery, you are in good hands!
CoffeeLady!!! You're one week behind me.

I'm so glad you're back online. There was talk of a search party if you didn't surface soon lol

How you doing? I'm so glad you were at the Finch!

lol roadkill.. I see your humour is intact and that's a good thing!

Welcome back!

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 3:09 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
All the best with your surgery.
MissGlitter
on 9/15/12 4:25 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
 I wouldn't mind being your angel, would be nice to be able to give back to this community.  I'll send you my contact details via private message if you want.  Let me know.  
I certainly can't top Mermaid for info, only concur with her.  Finch is a great hospital and the nurses are awesome.  I had Marlene for a night nurse both times, she's FAB!!!  
I hope your recovery is as smooth as mine has been so far (knock wood)!!  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Most Active
Recent Topics