WLS for dummies

WLSoujourn
on 10/8/12 11:33 pm - Canada
Good Tuesday Morning ALL:

Just wondering if any of you read the book WLS for Dummies...and if so, if you felt it was relevant for Canada?  I guess I am just wondering if I should order it for information and education...any reviews would be GREAT!!

Cheers
Kim
dna
on 10/9/12 1:13 am - Canada
send me your email and i will forward it to you.

it's good !  i really enjoy it and it's helped me along the way since my centre didn't/couldn't .. whatever :) 

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

lookinginto
on 10/9/12 1:31 am
 WLS for Dummies was the first weight loss surgery book I read. I found it really helpful - particularly since the point of view of the authors was that weight loss surgery had some minimal risks but staying obese was actually more dangerous. It was simple to read. The only part that was irrelevant for me as a Canadian was the part on getting private insurance to pay for the surgery. 

I also liked the Complete Idiot's Guide to Life after Weight Loss Surgery because it went over how to read nutrition labels. 

There's a Canadian nutrionist who works at a bariatric center in Ontario who also wrote a book. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Guide-Program/dp/0778802736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349796430&sr=8-1

I like her book for the recipes and general nutrition information as well. 

NorthernStar
on 10/9/12 1:43 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I think it's a great book and offers a really comprehensive overview; everything from the technical aspects of surgery to eating, coping with change, taking care of yourself after surgery, going back to work, etc. I would highly recomment it.

I also recomment The Complete Weight Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program by Sue Ekserci. There's a lot of Canadian info and a ton of nutrition/diet info, especially for immediate post-ops.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

350Ann180
on 10/9/12 2:00 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
 I found this book to be very helpful and still refer to it 5 months out.

Don't buy it new - found it on Amazon for about 5 bucks or so...

Ann

chipmunk_roasting
on 10/9/12 2:25 am, edited 10/9/12 2:26 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Hi, Kim

Ottawa here.   I read this when I first started the process and it was a very basic, helpful book (as most of the "...for Dummies" series are).

Most of the information was relevant to a Canadian, some was not.

Since it's been in publication without revision for a number of years now (and, in my opinion, it needs revision), might I suggest that you first borrow a copy from your Library?   If it's not in their collection they can order it for you on inter-library loan.

It's worth a read, I think, but not necessarily worth a buy.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 5:33 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
WLS for Dummies was a good book but I would also recommend

The Complete Weight Loss Surgery Guide and Diet Program by Sue Ekserci. and Dr. Laz Klein
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 5:36 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
It is very basic so if you are just starting your research it will be good.  It is outdated for sure and some of the info about insurance is strictly for Americans.  If you can borrow a copy from someone or from a library that would be better than buying it IMO.
Most Active
Recent Topics