I am confused

Laura H.
on 10/24/12 3:44 am - Canada
I am just over 5 weeks out.   I am very lucky Gertrude (my pouch) is not picky.  I have not had any complaints from her.  I have not been sick and everything is going well.  So you say what is the problem?  I am afraid I am doing something wrong.  I am up 2 lbs over last week and do not know why.  I get in all my water, vitamins, and protein ( 70 - 100 g/day) in every  day.  I eat very little red meat (mostly chicken and fish).   I cannot exercise as my blood pressure has bottomed out (cannot even get a reading on the lower #) and I get dizzy very easily and the doctor is concerned I will pass out.  He did blood work on me and it all came back good.  He said I have a couple ofpints of blood to spare if anyone needs some.  He thinks it is one of my medications that help me sleep.  So he took me off of that to see if my blood pressure comes up.  I guess what I am worried about is the amount of carbs I am eating.  I eat between 30 - 50 g /day.  The carbs come from skim milk, pudding, veggies, and melba toast.  Is this okay?  My calorie intake is anywhere from 500 - 850.  I can't understand  how  I gained 2 lbs.  I don't have that time of month as I have had a hysterectomy.  Comments please..

Laura H.

ShallowGirl
on 10/24/12 4:30 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
It's a weirdness. 

Some times it is part of the female cycle, sometimes it is constipation (you retain water in the abdomen until it passes), depending on your medications, a steroid can raise your blood sugar even though you are not eating differently.

Or sometimes it is a weirdness that the body is "remodelling" itself, and retains water for that purpose, then when the purpose is done, the water & weight slip away, and you find you've passed some sort of stage.

The important thing is to stay good.  50 g of carbs a day, in my opinion, is good.  So I would keep plugging away doing what you are doing.

It is possible you were dehydrated at your last weight in, and tha****er came back. 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Monica M.
on 10/24/12 4:31 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

oh Laura, i know JUST how you feel!!

when i started out, i was just like that. No complaints from my pouch, each and every stage went perfectly.

Don't worry about being up in pounds at this stage. Your body is likely having a bit of a freak out, and wondering what the heck you're doing. If i were you, i'd put the scale away, weigh yourself only every two weeks, or once a month if you can stand it. Its the weight loss trend that you want to look at, not necessarily what you weigh from day to day.

your carb intake sounds fine, so does your protein and water.

My blood pressure was a bit wonky too, for a while. hopefully it will straighten itself out. Check your BP at the drugstore every once in a while, unless you have a machine at home. Some people say that adding salt to your diet will help your BP. Try to at least walk a bit, even if you can't vigorously exercise.

You sounds like you're doing pretty well, overall.

Hugs.

Patm
on 10/24/12 5:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I have found that somethimes when I do not lose weight I do lose inches. It is like my body is rearranging itself. This too should pass

nata
on 10/24/12 6:44 am - Ottawa, Canada
Totally normal. Water retention to replenish water soluble glycogen in your muscles.
Relax and enjoy your journey.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics