The greatest gift my surgery has given me...

PatXYZ
on 12/29/12 10:12 pm

I had a remarkably normal holiday season. I don't really remember it ever being like this before. Typically, I would spend the holidays anticipating all the delicious and wonderful food I would get to enjoy at this time of year. Then I would eat and indulge for two weeks straight and typically gain a couple of pounds (or three, or four, or five...). The food would be the highlight of my holiday season.

This year was different.

Was there still good food around? Yes. Was there still a desire to have it? Yes. So what was different?

ME!

I knew that if I stuffed my face with holiday sweets, that I would feel sick and I wouldn't get my protein in. Something about this simply made over-eating the sweets unappealing. I would normally be the person who has to obsessively taste one of everything, but this year I was more than happy to choose one or two things, try a couple of bites and pass the rest on to my husband or throw it away. And I was completely satisfied! I didn't feel deprived at all!

On Christmas Eve, I prepared a beautiful Black Forest cake for my family's party. In the past I could have eaten three generous slices and still felt like I wanted more. This year, before going near the sweets, I filled up on protein options like bacon-wrapped scallops, meatballs, and ham, and when it was time for cake, I cut a small slice and greatly enjoyed half of it. HALF of it!!! And I didn't mind. I actually didn't give the cake another thought after I set down my plate.

On another evening, I went out for a beautiful meal with my three sisters. We enjoyed wine, shared appetizers and an amazing main course. No one said anything about my taking a modest share of the appetizers, or the fact that I ate all my scallops, but left behind most of the potatoes... because this is how many normal, average sized people eat everyday. They do not obsessively clean their plates. They enjoy their meals to satiety, and then leave the rest. No one would think it is odd for this little 127lb woman to leave some potatoes behind, and I didn't feel self-conscious about it either. I AM NORMAL!

This is a revelation. It is wonderful. It is freeing, and so, so normal feeling. I don't obsess, but I can still enjoy! I can have anything I want, but in moderation - and I'm capable of it! Incredible!

I will forever be grateful for my DS and what it has done for me over this past nearly 10 months. It's hard to believe so much has changed in so little time, but it is all for the better. I have lost 108lbs and have a healthy BMI. My blood sugars are normal. In three weeks I will stop all medication for migraines and IBS after titrating down over the past several months. I hope everyone here can experience what I have this past year in the coming year. The only resolution I'm making for 2013 is to keep doing what I'm doing now... protein first, low carb, moderation is possible, and never miss a dose of supplements!

Happy 2013 Everyone!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Onward and
Downward

on 12/29/12 10:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

So great, Trish!  Good for you!  And congratulations on reaching your goal this year.  Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. :)

I also found Christmas very nice this year.  No obsessing about food, still eating the yummy stuff I like from Christmas dinner, but just little bits of it, and still losing weight anyhow, because I was so measured in what I ate.  And I didn't miss the cookies and chocolate and stuff like that at all.  It was all out, but I didn't feel the need to eat it.  Didn't feel deprived at all.

I'm so thrilled with my choice to have WLS.  What a life-changer!

Glad you mentioned the supplements.  This is where I fall down.  I find it so hard to remember to take everything every day.  But I do want to thank you for the recommendation of the Vitalady iron.  I got it and am taking it regularly, and it seems to be going down well.

Have a great new year!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

kellybelly333
on 12/29/12 10:21 pm - Toronto, Canada
Excellent post! As I look back I realize how different it is now too. When I say that I went off the wagon, and then journaled in MyFitnessPal and it was nothing! What I consider overeating now, is nothing (but it's still overeating....the action). There were time when I chose a few treats, consciously, and that felt good as I got my protein in first.

It is freeing to be around food and not obsess how much I would be able to stuff in my face over the holidays. I enjoyed family, friends and being active. I went for a run Christmas Day (a quick 5k while the kids enjoyed their new games and toys....READ:they didn't notice my 1/2 hour absence lol).

Congrats on your successful 10 months. And Happy 2013!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

sam1am
on 12/29/12 10:47 pm

Wonderful post Pat!  I am so happy for you!  I'm guessing you hit goal or under?

Happy 2013 to you as well!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

PatXYZ
on 12/30/12 8:09 am

My goal was a healthy BMI, which at my height would have been 135lbs. I'm at 127lbs and am not actively trying to lose anymore weight. I'm going for a plastics consult in January or February for this summer, I'm very excited!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
sam1am
on 12/30/12 8:24 am

As you should be, big congratz!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Patm
on 12/29/12 11:03 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I enjoyed your post. I am not mentally there yet. I can't let myself have anything remotely involving sugar. If I do I feel like I have commited the crime of the century. I find by depriving myslf of food when in a large group it makes me want to binge later. Like I have used up all my wilpower. i am hoping to work on these issues. Thanks for posting that you can have a treat now and then and not be a bad person

Tammy G.
on 12/29/12 11:05 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 01/25/12

Congrats on your weight loss, such an accomplishment in such a relative short period of time!!  I agree, the last 170+lbs that I have lost is so different and now I can pick and choose what I wish to fill up on, although protein is always my first choice, which thankfully doesn't leave much room for any of the other options.  I find I am satisfied and don't really experience hunger like I once did, which is so refreshing from my past.

Tammy 

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/30/12 12:01 am - Windsor, Canada
Thanks for a wonderfully positive post.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

macrobug1
on 12/30/12 12:24 am

Wonderful post!  You sound happy.

Most Active
Recent Topics