Head Hunger

Laura H.
on 1/2/13 10:37 am - Canada

Help.  I am really having a lot of head hunger.  How do you deal with it?  This got me into trouble in the first place and I am only out 3 months.  I need advice on dealing with it.  Thanks.

Laura H.

jewel-twin
on 1/2/13 1:06 pm - Canada
Go brush your teeth, take a walk, have a cup of tea.....you need to find a way to occupy yourself until it's time for a meal or snack.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/13 6:19 pm - Straford, Canada

what jewel said plus keeping with the program for eating, including snacks.  I have noticed a tendency to eat larger portions at meal time which will not allow me space for snacks so have been weighing/measuring everything again so I still have room for three snacks, morning, afternoon and most importantly for me evening snack.  That evening snack for me has always been my killer but as part of my over all plan its just another source of nutrients.  Hope this helps!  kiss

nata
on 1/2/13 8:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I use either "good" snacks - chicken-egg-cottage, something dense, since soft stuff like yogurt don't fill me fast. Eat the dense protein alone, NOT accompanied by some carby goodies like a little tortilla or crackers.

Or "empty" snacks - SF jello (5 cal, protein, lol) or low sodium chicken broth (same 5 cal from protein) - stuff that helped you through opticrap, it can be useful postop too. Warm drinks work too, so the tea idea is great as well. Find your stopper.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
P_Floyd
on 1/2/13 9:17 pm - Canada

Good advice here. I look to occupy my time. Idle hands are the Wizards Baker... wait, what? 

For me getting junk out of the house helps a lot. Providing alternatives which are healthy is essential. Getting rid of the triggers also goes a long way in helping me keep my head in the game. TV is packed with very effective images of food you shouldn't eat tempting you to do just that. You should only listen to what your pouch says when it comes to hunger. I record all tv now and commercials are not something I am subject to anymore. Getting on with other things is the way to beat head hunger for me.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Laura H.
on 1/2/13 11:09 pm - Canada

So esstionally I need to keep my hands busy.  Hmmmmm....... 

Laura H.

ShallowGirl
on 1/2/13 9:45 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

1.  Read this article and ask "is this who I want to be?"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/still-some-nutella-left-in- jar-reports-depression,27635/

2.  Have something high protein, I like a warm hot chocolate

3.  Divert yourself - walk, do a chore, nap, take a hot bath.  Tiredness and stress make me hungry and insatiable.  You probably ARE hungry at 3 months, so the protein snack can tide you over.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

mermaidz
on 1/2/13 10:46 pm - Brampton, Canada

Hi Laura H.

You and I are about a month apart so I can totally relate. Pinkie and Ian have some great suggestions.  My house has no "treats" other than healthy ones and omg.. the tv!.. I could pitch a stone through it some days lol get up and do something.

On my fridge I posted a list of snackies that just happen to also be my regular snacks in case my will power failed me. This way if i "fail", it's not really failing.

Here's the list.. Maybe it will help?

strawberries

Raspeberries

Hummus

Cottage Cheese--add some cinnamon and splenda ..omg.. such a treat

Laughing Cow

Paris Toast

Babyel

Yogurt  ( put in 1tbp cocoa and some sfcaramel -tastes like mouse) 

coffee and protein

hard boiled egg (ust one)

protein drink

hand held gadget.. ie play games on your phone to distract yourself

chicken slices, cheese slice and PICKLES  (crunchy)

pickles

carrots

peppers

celery

did I mention Pickles?

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Laura H.
on 1/2/13 11:05 pm - Canada

Hi, My problem is it hits me in late in the evening when I have had everything that I have allotted for that day.  I do not have anything in this house that I cannot eat.  There is stuff I don't like for  my husband and son.  Maybe  I will try munching on a couple of carrots or something when it hits late at night.  I just don't want to wreck this gift that I have been  given.  Terrified to the very core.  Thank you for your help.

Laura H.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/2/13 10:58 pm - Windsor, Canada

Head hunger often focuses on specific "cravings".  They say the best thing that you can do is to occupy yourself for 20 minutes to see if that craving goes away.  Do something - whatever you need to do - drink water, get busy, find a project, take a bath etc. whatever you have to do to avoid giving in.  The longer you put it off, the better.  Re evaluate in 20 minutes when the craving has subsided.

Look for healthy substitutes.

Write, journal - look for the WHYs. Is it a craving, response to stress etc.

It can be a lifelong battle for many of us.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics