Ulcer????

Laura H.
on 1/8/13 11:51 pm - Canada

Since the weekend, my pouch has been hurting whenever I eat.  I also can not eat as much as I was.  If I do, I burp and water comes up into my esophagus.  I spoke to Dr. Huynh and he is going to do a gastronomy (spelling??) this Friday if I can get a ride home.  If not,  next Friday. He is thinking I might have an ulcer.  He said it is unusual to get a stitcher after 3 months.  What causes an ulcer?  I am still taking my prevacid, do not smoke, or have had any carbonated beverages.  Thanks for your input.

Laura H.

PatXYZ
on 1/9/13 1:34 am

Not taking a PPI post-op for at least 3 months, smoking, alcohol abuse and an existing H.pylori infection are things that contribute to an ulcer forming post-op. Things like carbonation, caffeine, and spicy food have no effect on your risk. Unfortunately, even when we do all the right things and avoid all the wrong things, they can still develop in some people. Perhaps you had a pre-existing H.pylori infection you didn't know about? The good news is that if it is caught early, it can be treated pretty easily with medication. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon and you're feeling better quickly.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
ShallowGirl
on 1/9/13 2:45 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Ulcers can come just from physiological stress, you don't need to have the other risk factors, and surgery is a stressor.

He'll stick a scope down your throat and have a look around (Endoscopy).  Ask for pictures, I did!

A stricture is a tightening of the exit from your stomach due to scar tissue.   He would also be able to see that on the endoscopy.

My ulcer was diagnosed at 3 months although my cir****tances were different than yours.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

mermaidz
on 1/9/13 6:19 am - Brampton, Canada

Laura.. I know you've been a good girl. I hope whatever it is gets resolved soon

Good luck and best wishes my friend

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics