400+ group

TrishwantstoLive
on 1/10/13 2:49 am - Ennismore, Canada

Hey guys and gals, I want to chat with some of you that were or are apart of the 400+ group.

I have some concerns regarding the surgery with being apart of this group as I have heard many complications that can occur with being over 400 lbs.

Can you express to me what you have read/heard or have been through?

Thanks!!

Referral:  August/2011                                    Nutrition Class: April 3rd/2012 TWH
Orientation: Jan/11/2012 at TWH                  Nutrition Assesment: May 15th/2012
Social Worker: March 6th/2012 at TWH       Psychologist: May15th/2012
Nurse Practioner: April 3rd/2012 TWH         Meeting with Sleep Dr: June 19th/2012
Meeting w Surgeon: Oct 12th/2012               Surgery Date: February 27th/2013

jewel-twin
on 1/10/13 6:41 am - Canada

Im not sure if your on youtube... If you are there is a lady her name on there is justaphotogirl.   she has great info and might be a good resource.  Im sorry im 250 lbs...so not sure i could answer your questions....however i dont know that the process is that different from 200-400 and up...we are all in this together .... You should feel free to ask away.

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 9:40 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

There is a forum for BMI over 50, perhaps they could help.

time2changeme
on 1/10/13 10:32 am

Hi Trish, I was and still am in that weight group and I would be happy to message or chat with you anytime!

I understand exactly how your feeling, I had many of the same concerns.  Looking forward to talking with you

nata
on 1/10/13 11:26 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Trish,

I was somewhat under 400, but with BMI of 62 and a bouquet of co-morbids.

Traditionally we hear from medical personnel (especially nurses) that it is more complicated and dangerous for us to have a surgery than for a lighter person. Well, they're right... and not so right. We give hard time to both surgeon and anesthesiologist, they work extra carefully, monitor our fat hearts closer and do everything to finish ASAP. In the end our operative stats are better than these of "light weights". For some reason I cannot remember a case that a heavy weight had a complication. And I've been at this forum for five years. Yet, "regular" patients get all kinds of messed up/overseen issues in the operating room and postop-care. I guess, the extra attention and effort we get from the docs, pay off. Yes, there is a popular stereotype that the heavier we are the more difficult it is... It is true - the harder docs need to work. Sorry, dear doctors and nurses, lol.

Don't worry too much. It is scary and it's totally normal to be scared (I was "****ting my pants" going into OR and prayed like crazy). But at 400+ you don't have other alternative, just as I didn't have four years ago.

You're going to be alright. As long as the surgeon and the crew are experienced and skilled (and only the best ones would ever touch a heavy weight, no newbie doctor would take a risk - see, we have another advantage) you're going to be just fine.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 3:35 pm - Canada
I weighed 430 pounds had a bmi of 65 my surgery went perfect i was told. But i did have the best surgeon in Ottawa. Dr. Mamazza is amazing i hope this helps
maryjakedesa
on 1/10/13 5:55 pm - Scarborough, Canada

Hey TrishWants toLive,

I was 528 lbs before i had surgery and i have had no problems during surgery nor after and it has been 5 months..so far i have lost 100lbs and i so glad that i did have RNY (at St.Mikes)...it is perfectly normal to have questions and concerns when you are much heavier..i know i did but the surgeon and staff reassured me that i would be okay and they were right. If you ever need to talk feel free to contact me...I wish you all the success in your journey

Mary

Most Active
Recent Topics