Craving sweet???

Laura H.
on 3/14/13 11:42 pm - Canada

I am 6 months out and the last week or so I  have been craving anything sweet.  Not chocolate or anything in particular.  Just something sweet.  Like I could eat a handful of the bariatric vitamins as I find them sweet.  What is going on?  Is this just another phase and if so, how did you handle it?  I have not had any kind of sugar since I have had  my surgery so I don't know if there is something I have eaten that has triggered this.   Any ideas? 

Laura H.

debralight
on 3/15/13 12:14 am - Canada

I usually have a protein shake with some flavour syrup and that will both fill me up and give me the sweet I crave.

If a protein shake isn't appealing I figure it is head hunger.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/15/13 12:32 am - Windsor, Canada

Sometimes carbs also triggers our need for sugar.  Carbs turn into sugars in the body and can raise and lower our blood sugar leaving us craving sweets.  You may want to check your carb levels and replace some of them with more protein. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mary A.
on 3/19/13 4:23 am

I always kept SF jelly Belly's around

....at around 6 months post-op I also allowed myself 3-4 chocolate covered almonds a day..some days I would have them and then there would be days and days I would go without..my main point was MY LIMIT~!!!

Remember it's NOT about denying yourself all the time..sure in the beginning we shouldn't but as time goes on it's better to train yourself in limitation, then say no and totally cave and eat two pieces of cheese cake in one sitting .

We have to train our brain to know what a LIMIT is, because as an obese person we obviously didn't set many limits, how many times did we return to the buffet, how much did we pile on our plates...LOTS~!

Your body will crave what it craves..and it could also be just your brain..I was never a huge sweet consumer prior to surgery, that changed for me after...hence the reason to limiting myself in the almond area.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Laura H.
on 3/19/13 5:48 am - Canada

Thank you for your post.  I agree with you about allowing yourself treats and knowing your limit.  The dietician was not pleased with me as I bought a bag of no sugar added Russell Stover french mints.  I bought the bag in November and finished it in January.  I was not the only one eating them.  I would have 1 once in a while.  I am  trying to eat to live and eat as I would all the rest of my life.  I think it is unreal of me to think of myself as never eating a piece of birthday cake or a sugar free candy again in my life.  Your post meant a lot to me as you have been at this a while.  Your wisdom is appreciated.

Laura H.

Most Active
Recent Topics