Question for the vets

Laura H.
on 5/8/13 10:13 am - Canada

I am 8 months out and have felt hunger since about 3 months out.  I find lately that I am getting hungry often.  It is physical hunger and not gas or head hunger.  Water does not help and only satisfies me for a little while.  I can eat a meal and my stomach gets my hungry feeling a couple of hours after.  When I eat, I eat until I am full but I find the food seems to go through fast.  Is this just a phase?  I am concerned.  I have not over eaten and stick to my 850 calories a day but it is hard.  Words of advice???  Thanks.

Laura H.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/8/13 10:45 am - Windsor, Canada
This is fairly normal for many of us. After the 6th month mark our bodies change. Our response to sugar/carbs is 20X stronger.

You'll find often that sugar and carbs in your diet often lead to MORE hunger. You may want to look at your food and use the myfitnesspal graph to see what your breakdown of your diet is in terms of the ratio of fat to carbs and to protein. It may surprise you.

For more information read this
http://diminishingdawnreturns.blogspot.ca/2012/06/june-meeting-2012.html?m=1

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Laura H.
on 5/8/13 11:00 am - Canada

Thank you Dawn.  I log everything into myfitnesspal.  How do I see the graph?  I took a look but could not find how to do that.  Thanks.

Laura H.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/8/13 11:11 am - Windsor, Canada

Do you have it on your phone? It is only through the app. You go to "daily" and there's a button that looks like a ball. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Cynner77
on 5/8/13 12:24 pm
Pardon me for butting in on the conversation, but I've got the MFP app on my Blackberry. No ball button, no cool graphs. :( It might depend on your phone.
Diminishing Dawn
on 5/8/13 12:25 pm - Windsor, Canada

Yes it may.    iPhone and android I believe have it 

birdiegirl
on 5/8/13 8:23 pm

Hi Laura

First - I would like to second what Dawn said re carbs/sugar and how they elevate your hunger.....if I stick to the calories you mention - and make them mostly dense protein....I can stave off hunger.....

Re the carb/protein/fat ratio's....if you try Fitday rather then MFP...they automatically give you a graph showing your breakdown in percentages....

I used to use Fitday most of the time....I like some things better with it.....easier to have my favorites etc....but MFP is better for the list of foods and restaurant meals....so really what you get used to....I am only using MFP now because of my fitbit.....but I may change back as really I dont need the syncing of my steps

It does get tougher....and unfortunately it will always be 'hard'....I have to concentrate every day to watch what goes in my mouth....some days I am more successful then others.....

Good luck

lexxiblue
on 5/9/13 4:33 am
RNY on 01/11/12

IN MY OPINION...

once you have a fat cell it's there forever.. and as birdie girl said... you'll always be watching what you eat!! this is a tool.. not a magic pill!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics