Post Op Diet Panic

PepperBB
on 10/8/13 6:19 am - Canada

Is there anywhere on here where people can post foods they might have consumed for the post-op weeks (1-2 liquid, 3-4 purée etc.) It would be great to get a list together for shopping so I am not buying the wrong foods.

I know there is a recipe area, but a shopping list kind of thing would be helpful as well.

Any help would be great!

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

merry1
on 10/8/13 8:01 am - Canada

I stocked up on all kinds of stuff as given to me in the hand outs by the nutritionist.  My problem was that I couldn't eat half the stuff.  My shelves are still full of cream soup that I just couldn't stomach and Whey protein powder drinks that I couldn't do either.  My suggestion is that yogurt just always worked no matter what phase I was in.  Try to get the one with the most protein in it.  As for everything else I would say buy only one to try it out before you put a lot of doe into it.  I threw out all kinds of stuff and the veggies I pureed did not end up interesting me at all either.  It's hard to know until you get there!!

DanaStClair
on 10/8/13 8:11 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hi,

If I am reading your information correctly - if looks like you are at TWH. They have a very comprehensive list of foods you are allowed to have at each stage. There is an online link where you can download the booklet here: www.uhn.ca/docs/HealthInfo/Shared%20Documents/Eating_for_Hea lth_after_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery.pdf

Best of luck

Dana

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/13 8:36 am - Straford, Canada

You should read and go back through previous posts "What are you eating/exercising today?".  Birdiegirl and others are very kind with their time to make comments and suggestions often, especially for newbies.  Use the search button on the blue bar beside MESSAGES and MY ACCOUNT and it should give you tons of ideas.  

Also, at TWH the NUT have several huge binders full of recommended recipes for WLS patients, including copies you can take.  You don't need an appointment to access them just ask the desk if you can go to look at the recipe binders for WLS patients and they'll point you in the right direction.  

PepperBB
on 10/8/13 8:39 am - Canada

This is great info, thanks, I was not sure where to start.

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

johjen
on 10/9/13 2:35 pm

First... don't panic!

Do not buy too much of anything.... your taste buds will change after surgery and something you LOVE today you will hate post op...

I got Premier Protein shakes and that is what I ate almost exclusivly for the liquid stage.  I did buy cream soup... had about a total of 1/4 of a cup of it in the whole 2 weeks (come to think of it I think I still have it in the freezer.. i should throw it out..lol)

for Puree... I didnt really buy anything special... (I also didnt actually puree anything,,, just chewed the crapola out of it)  At this point I was still relying on the protein shakes (2 a day) and fitting in a few fork full's of very moist meat...

I liked (and still do) the Lou's beef au jus meats.. they are precooked and very moist... but one package will last (if its just you eating it) the whole 2 week pureed stage..

Most Active
Recent Topics