Time off Work

minkie83
on 2/24/14 5:27 am - Canada

Hello there, 

I am very new to the site and I am meeting with my surgeon on the 21st of March. I have seen a post on here about returning to work however the replies were mostly from American members. 

I am wondering what the recovery time is really like and how soon people returned to work or if you took the entire 8 weeks off or whatever is recommended. 

Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated. 

taniagirlca
on 2/24/14 6:17 am

I have been told 6 weeks but I haven't had surgery yet, I meet the surgeon on March 3rd :)

Zavz
on 2/24/14 6:37 am - Canada

I took four weeks off.  I felt good, but getting all the fluids and eating and all that took up my whole day so i would take as much time as your employer will give you

Zizzler
on 2/24/14 7:41 am, edited 2/24/14 7:41 am

I had been planning on 4 weeks as I have a desk job with no lifting, but have not yet met with the surgeon.  Really hope it is no longer because I have to use my vacation to cover the time so I do not lose pay.  I was looking at the American posts too and was shocked to see some people back at work after one week.   One week!  Many others were at around 2 weeks.  Are we just not a tough up here in Canada for taking 4-6 weeks?  I don't get why there is such a difference?

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/14 9:32 am - Canada

I think for the most part, we as Canadians usually have more generous benefits from our employers and the government.  I very often hear of our U.S. neighbours going back to work 6 weeks after having a baby!  I can't imagine since new parents are now allowed 1 year.  Lucky to be on this side of the border methinks!!

Patm
on 2/24/14 7:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I took 4 weeks. It is major surgery and you need time to heal, rest and get into a rhyme of eating and drinking. If you have a physical job then you might consider taking more time.

minkie83
on 2/24/14 8:35 am - Canada

Does my vacation time get used before ei kicks in?

Caroline K.
on 2/24/14 8:40 am

Dr. Foute Nelong told me he usually recommends 4 weeks off, 6 if there are issues. It's probably 8 weeks only if you have a physically strenuous job.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Curious.George
on 2/24/14 12:37 pm - Canada

I work in a nursing home as a PSW so I took 8 weeks off. If your job is physically demanding in any way, I would suggest you take the whole 8 weeks off.  And yes, my vacation pay had to be included in my report to EI and they used that first, then I got paid by them.  Hope this helps.  Take good care and good luck!

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

Monica M.
on 2/24/14 7:30 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i was told 6 weeks. I took a few more, just because i have a really good sick plan at work, and i felt like it. I was ready to go back, (i have a desk job) at about 4 weeks.

Most Active
Recent Topics