1 week out today (long)

m1randa55
on 3/5/14 9:53 pm - Brantford, Canada

One week ago, I was sitting terrified and exhausted in the St. Joe's Hamilton surgery waiting room. This has been the longest week of my life to date. It has also been one of the most hope inspiring. Some of the things I have learned: If you are prone to anxiety at any level, ask the anesthetist for something to relax as they prep you for surgery. This request must be made at your preop appointment and written into the order. They will not offer this, but agreed it was a good idea. Had I not had ativan, I would have bolted from the table as my fears washed over me. I am so thankful that my hard work and desire to have surgery was not dashed by nerves. Also, it is said many people have improved blood sugar after RNY surgery. For me, this is an understatement. Within days, my blood sugars gradually dropped to normal (5) level without meds and have stayed there. My incisions are healing very well. Before, with active high blood sugar, any cut took weeks to heal. Wow is all I can say. This week has also been tough. Lots of aches, poor sleep, major adjustments in terms of getting in lots of movement and fluid, changing hormones, feeling down...but each day this is improving. Before surgery I felt lousy and hopeless...now I feel lousy with lots of hope :)  I have no regrets about having surgery. In fact, I am pleased that I was proactive and went after this surgery to improve my health before my poor health forced me into surgeries that just 'patched' up my problems. I still have lots of work to do on my 'head hunger'...and being honest with myself is key. I am trying to follow all instructions to the letter as given by the bariatric clinic. I deserve this chance and I'm so glad I finally care as much about myself as I do about the others in my life. Thank you to everyone on the boards for your support.

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Monica9811
on 3/5/14 10:06 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Great post!  It gets easier every day.  Wishing you success as you continue on this fantastic journey and your new lease on life!

Sara F.
on 3/5/14 10:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 03/17/14

Lousy with lots of hope - that's a good thing, because the lousy will pass and the hope will keep you positive and motivated! Congratulations on making the step. I look forward to reading more about your journey, and joining you on the bench on March 17th. :)

Referral: June 2012 Orientation: October 2012 CT Scan: February 2013 Dietician: March 6 2013 Social worker: March 6 2013 Endoscopy: March 28 2013 Internist: April 3 2013 Psychologist: April 3 2013 Pancreatic ultrasound, MRI, biopsy: May-August 2013 Surgical consult: October 1 2013 Repeat biopsy: January 22 2014 PATTS: March 13 2014 Surgical date:  March 17 2014!!

Needanewbeginning
on 3/5/14 11:24 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Great post! It gets better everyday. Welcome to the bench.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Northernlightsmom
on 3/5/14 11:37 pm - Canada

Oh...I am so happy for you. ..every day will be better and better.  You have a great positive outlook on this.  Best of luck!

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

m1randa55
on 3/6/14 10:14 pm - Brantford, Canada

Thanks friends :)

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics