Time off work

Blueiiis
on 3/10/14 10:09 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hello, I work for a small company and my boss has been giving me a hard time about booking time for appointments, and I have yet to tell them about the surgery.  I will be using my two weeks vacation and hope to work from home for a week.

Has anyone been fired for taking time off for appointments or surgery? Am I somehow protected, as I will have a doctors note? When I say small, there's myself, two other people plus the two bosses.  

Karenkee
on 3/10/14 10:50 am - Canada

Hi Blueiis,  sorry if you get this message twice I'm having problems with my computer.  As far as I am aware it is not legal for a company to fire you for a short term illness especially if you get a doctors note.  Being off for 2 - 3 weeks should not be a huge problem for them.  As well you do not have to tell them what kind of surgery you are having.  The health insurer may require this information for benefits but your employer does not need to know any specifics and it is illegal for the company to ask you for specifics on your health. You could call Gov't services to find out exactly what your rights are as an employee.  As well information may be found in the Canada labour code on line.  Giving him some idea of the time off and that you are willing to accommodate by working at home as much as you are able are good to maintain good relations.  Small companies are often unaware of these type of scenarios or just try to ignore it.  I went thru a similar situation two years ago.  I hope this helps.  You have enough stress preparing for your surgery and you certainly don't need to deal with a boss who may be insensitive.  Take care

Blueiiis
on 3/11/14 3:04 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you for your reply.  This guy is something else. I didn't think you could get fired for illness but am going to try to get info from the government so I know my rights before I say anything :)

Most Active
Recent Topics