Post surgery working out?

NorthernKat
on 3/31/14 1:36 pm

How long usually postoperative can you start hitting the gym and working out??

how large is the incision??

Leanne1
on 3/31/14 9:33 pm, edited 3/31/14 9:35 pm - Newmarket, Canada

There are 4-5 small incisions... 

You should be walk, walk, walking... before you leave the hospital... As for other exercise, they suggest waiting for at least 6-8 weeks post-op. Light exercise would be ok but nothing to hard. It will come gradually. You have to work up to it. 

Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83Vs9GQ0WI

Research is key ;) Where are you in your journey?? Do you know what centre you are with? 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

NorthernKat
on 4/1/14 12:05 am

I'm actually just in the research stage - I live in Northern ontario so will be refered somewhere south i'm sure but I am not sure where or who I want to go to.  Im in the research phase of the actual surgeries and now starting to research surgeons. 

Jiliana2
on 3/31/14 9:48 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Most of the surgeries are done laparoscopically. That is to say, it's not ONE large incision, but four or five tiny ones, about an inch or so across. This is a much better method than the open surgeries that used to occur! And it usually means less time is required in hospital recovering. Patients tend to do better with it.

I was cleared to go back to the gym around 5 weeks post-op. I was told no heavy lifting though for fear of straining stomach muscles. I started back with cardio and am slowly working up to the weight machines, bit by bit.

I hope this helps you? Let us know.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics