6 days post-op...liquids help!

Linsie
on 5/28/14 8:00 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I had surgery last Thursday and was kept in the hospital an extra 2 days because I couldn't drink as much as was required. They said minimum of 1 litre, and I was doing 1/4 of that. I've been home for a few days and still can't get to where I need to be. I'm taking super small sips and 3 seconds later I get stomach rumbles. I manage to eat 8 bites of jello maybe all day and not drinking much at all. Today I had awful pains and brought me to tears. In the hospital, I tried to drink more and ended up throwing everything up. Has anyone come across this? I just don't know what to do. And everyone keeps yelling at me to drink more, and I physically can't without throwing up everything. Any advice would be appreciated. I do find that I need to sit up straight or even stand when I drink or else the pain is even worse. 

on 5/28/14 8:19 am - Canada

Hey Linsie first congrats on having your surgery.  May I ask which one you had done?  I had RNY and im 5 weeks post op.  I had a hard time getting my fluids in.  One of the things that really helped me was sugar free popcicles and I drank power ade zero.  I dont drink the power ade now because I got sick of it.  I also made lots of ice cubes and crushed them up a bit and would suck on them.  If I always put just a bit in eventually I got better at it.  Dont forget other things are fluid as well.  Like soup and jelly an juice.  I bought sugar free juice and put it in the freezer to partially freeze it and ate it with a spoon.  It will get better.  The main thing I focused on in my first 2 weeks was increasing my fluid in take.  The pain you are having is probably gas.  Good luck and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.  :-)    Val

Linsie
on 5/28/14 8:59 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Thanks Val! You just reminded me that I forgot my home made Popsicles at my dad's lol I stayed there a few days after the hospital. I did have RNY and it's so frustrating with getting fluids in. I just find that I get pain when I drink but if it tastes better and has flavour, I'd probably fight through the pain haha. Thanks so much for the advice!! 

on 5/28/14 9:28 am - Canada

You are very welcome :-)

Sunny123
on 5/28/14 9:21 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Flavoured water helps some.  I didn't like cold drinks and drank warm water. I still drink warmer water than normal.

Keep trying to get your liquids in.

Good luck.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 5/28/14 9:26 am - Arnprior, Canada

Just keep trying, and be willing to experament.  For some liquids have to be ice cold, and for some they need to be warm.  If you use crystal light, dilute it as it can be really sweet (I did double the water).  Just be constant, even if it's one sip every 5 minutes, you'll be amazed how much you can get in that way.  Try low sodium broth as well, sometimes it helps just to have flavor in it.

Cathy

NewMe2.0
on 5/30/14 5:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Hey my almost surgery twin...sent you a pm.  :)

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Most Active
Recent Topics