1 week post-op food options

Linsie
on 5/31/14 10:22 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I'm one week out from RNY surgery and according to the Guelph clinic, I'm on pureed foods. I'm reading through the diet guidelines booklet and it indicates scrambled eggs for phase 3 (regular food). Could these be used for the pureed diet as well? To me it's pretty mushy, I'm wondering if there is another reason we can't have these this early on. Anyone have any insight?  I don't meet with the nutritionist for two weeks. Thanks guys! 

TanyaLH
on 5/31/14 10:48 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Scrambled eggs were the last thing I wanted at 1 week out. I stuck to, yogurt, cream soups, SF pudding, cream of wheat. With no chunks of anything in the soups or yogurt. I did puree veggie chili though near the end of the 3 week pureed stage, and I tolerated it well.

I would stick to their guide lines to be safe.

All the best,

Tanya

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 3:10 pm

I went through the Guelph clinic and if you read the page correctly one week out from RNY surgery you are not to be on puréed foods, Right now until day 27 you are to be on PHASE 2-FULL FLUIDS. Which means creamed soups, yogurt with no chunks, no added sugar or far, milk,puréed vegetable soup < puréed meaning all the vegetables in the soup are puréed  no hunks in the soup, low fat puddings, Apple sauce, or other apple sauce like fruit, tomato or vegetable juice, water, decaf tea / coffee and hot cereals such as cream of wheat or oatmeal. This is a full fluid diet only, No eggs nothing other than what they suggest. Follow the diet, Puréed diet is any food puréed down to a smooth texture. If you dont follow their suggestions you will only be hurting yourself which could cause complications. Your new pouch is not ready for other foods at this time. 

new_me180
on 5/31/14 4:53 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Congratulations on your surgery. I had my surgery in Guelph as well and I know they don't have a pureed stage at all. It's liquid for the first 7 days and then full liquids until day 27. I remember them telling my nutrition class that someone had an upset tummy after eating eggs in the second phase which is full LIQUIDS only. Like the poster above noted that it consists of cream soups, oatmeal, cream of wheat etc. Handbook doesn't say eggs, so please don't be tempted as it could irritate your new tummy. I understand that being on liquids for so long will drive you nuts, believe me, i was ready to eat solid foods after two weeks of opti, then the 27 days of post op liquids add to that and extra week of clear liquids for me as i had an ulcer 3 weeks out.. Hang in the and follow the plan, you'll chew again before you know it, lol.

Patm
on 5/31/14 8:44 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Eggs especially scrambled can actually be hard to digest. At 2.5 years I still have trouble with scrambled at times.

Good luck with your diet

Karen M.
on 5/31/14 10:02 pm, edited 5/31/14 10:02 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I agree with the other posters who are suggesting you stick with your centre's guidelines at one. week. out. Surely you're not hoping to push limits so soon?

Edited to add: Eggs can be really hard to digest. Many people have trouble eating eggs (and having them stay down) for a very long time post-op. Eggs and I broke up for about 5 years and it's only within the last year that I confidently eat eggs and keep them from coming right back up.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Caroline K.
on 6/1/14 1:08 am

Are you sure about that? I'm through Guelph as well, and had my surgery April 23rd. It was clear liquids for one week, and full liquids for two weeks. Soft/pureed foods came next. Full liquids didn't include eggs, but they were allowed on soft foods. You may want to recheck your booklet. I'd be worried about trying anything but liquids that soon, since you're still healing.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Linsie
on 6/1/14 7:35 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Pureed food is what I call phase two, yes full liquid but pureed foods are included in that. I just figured eggs, especially scrambled, were about the. Same consistency as anything else pureed, it's squishy enough lol. There's not much in this second phase that I actually like so I was hoping for something hot that I may enjoy.  

Aes85
on 6/1/14 7:44 am

I'm two weeks post op and I can slowly introduce purée foods ... But I think at one week out you are probably safer off with just full liquids for another week. 

28M, 6'2 ft.  HW: 313.  SW: 280.  CW: 261. RNY 5/21/14.

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/14 9:38 am

Follow the clinics plan plain an simple, why test the waters and ruin it.

Most Active
Recent Topics