Newbie I have been creeping the forums for a week or so now! :0)

Nikipie_72
on 6/9/14 10:50 am - Canada

My name is Nicole I have Type 2 Diabetes and High blood pressure! I have completed all of my testing and have met with the my Surgeon (from the posts I have read, I now know maybe not) Dr. Amy Neville in Ottawa. I have read sooo many success stories and have seen a ton of before and after photo's and everyone is doing great I love the amazing support you all give to one another! I am very lucky to have a very supportive family behind me and this site is a huge bonus, as there is no better advise given then someone who has experienced it! I know that I will be having RNY but WHEN is the big question!!!My appointment with Dr. Neville was April 13th and I have not heard a word since, I find it consumes my thoughts most of the time I call home from work checking my messages several times a day, today I just call the Ottawa Hospital today and played like I didn't know that I would get a phone call when my surgery date is set, she informed me that with summer approaching surgeries get slowed down due to vacation time so if I have plans that I can go ahead and enjoy them cause I will not be getting a date at least until end of summer!!! ***SIGH When you inject Insulin 5 times a day and know that this surgery can potentially put and end to all that patients is very hard to keep!! So here is my BIGGEST concern I currently weigh 207 LBS and am right at the BMI that qualifies me for WLS due to my health conditions I have not even started my 3 weeks of Opti fast yet! What happens if I lose too much weight??? My NUT says I will probably go down to 152 lbs my goal is 145 lbs but from what I have read on here people are losing way over 100 lbs that makes me 107lbs or LESS! ....ummm is there anyone out there that has a similar story? I would love to hear if there is anyone out there who has lost less that 100 lbs.

Thanks for reading Nicole

Zizzler
on 6/9/14 1:56 pm

Hey Nicole, I saw Dr. Neville on April 8th and am still waiting for a surgery date, so I hear your frustration loud and clear.  Right now she is calling people who met the surgeon end of March, so you would think that we would get a call soon, but no.  they are closing the centre and having no surgeries at all for 2 months in July.  That is why we are being bumped.  I am the same way, hoping for a call every day.  Lana left a message today telling me that she did not return my call from a week before because she told me not to call there anymore.  How can they say not to call when they make us wait this long for a surgery date?  And they have no cancellation date so the only way you will get one is to call.  I was so angry and frustrated after hearing her message.  I know of one person who saw the surgeon in April and has a surgery date in late June.  I do not trust this process and am super frustrated.  Knowing that others feel the same does help a little.  I have friended you.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Karen M.
on 6/9/14 11:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome to the forum, Nicole.

With respect to losing 100 pounds or more - most of us had at LEAST that to lose to get to a normal BMI. I myself lost 170 pounds (started at 290, now weigh 120). It depends on how much you need to lose - obviously at 207 pounds your number will be considerably lower. Your body will stop losing when appropriate - I can count on a couple of fingers people I know (out of literally many thousands) who lost a little too much.

Best wishes and I hope you hear soon about a date,

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Julie99
on 6/10/14 3:13 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hi Nicole.  I'm going through Ottawa as well.  I met with the surgeon on March 18th and still no news. And I agree with Zizzler that there is a lot of injustice in this process.  I know that Lana does all she can but all I ask is to be fair.  Plus, the surgical team will be close for 2 weeks: the last week of July and the 1st week of August.  It has been a long wait :(   Good luck on your journey!

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

Nikipie_72
on 6/10/14 5:26 am - Canada

I am trying not to let the thought of my Surgery date consume me completely, after talking with Ottawa yesterday I guess it is what it is! I would just like to know the date now, even if it is a fall date knowing is way easier than not knowing!! I will just continue to hang out with everyone here and read all the wonderful news for those who have had success and hope for the rest of us still hanging in limbo that we get some GOOD news sooner rather than later!!

Thanks all for listening to me vent!! I appreciate the support you give to me, a complete stranger :) IF I hear anything from Ottawa I will post right away I hope you all will do the same so we can celebrate together!!

Nicole :0)

newme14
on 6/11/14 3:12 am - Ontario, Canada

Hi!! and Welcome!!  Seems there are a few of us from Ottawa! I'm new too!! 

I am also very anxious to get in the process or an end date. :)   I'm curious...my next step is the Behavourist/Nutritonist and then next step is to meet the surgeon?  Or am I jumping ahead a few steps?  I've been trying to figure it out, but based on what I'm reading it's different for everyone!!

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking your thread, just so good to see all Ottawa peeps-great opprotunity to ask a question!!

Have a great day! and Welcome again!! :)

P.S-when I was thinking about having the surgery I ended up speaking to various people.  I happened to meet a lady one morning while I was getting bloodwork done at the Civic.   (I'm called Chatty Cathy for a reason-hahaha)   She had the RNY almost 2 yrs ago.  She ended up losing 68 pounds.  She looks fantastic, she said she's never been healthier and it was the BEST decision she ever made. So there are success stories out there.  Hope that helps?    

RNY January 2015

HW-365 CW-185 GW-160

"Beauty is found within."

Nikipie_72
on 6/11/14 5:51 am - Canada

Hi Thanks for the reply, I had my orientation on July 23rd 2013, my testing consisted of Upper GI, Ultra sound, sleep apnea, Nutritionist, Social worker, and the Diabetes clinic I had to get my AIC's (average blood sugars for 3 months) down to a 7.5 once that was done and everything was signed off I got my appointment with the Surgeon, who I seen on April 13th she told me it would be another 3-4 months before I have a date, (if the surgeon requests any additional testing it is a longer wait) so I am guessing the end of August or early September I should receive a call and I have to do 3 weeks of opti fast which the Surgeon prescribed at my April 13th appointment so I have put it in my head that October I will probably be having my surgery it's the hurry up and wait game!!

If you have no other testing to go for once the nutritionist and Social worker sign off they send your file to the Surgeons office and they mail you an appointment date and time.  This has been a longggg process for sure! I am feeling a lot better now I have heard from a few people that you can only lose 60-70 pounds man I was freaking for a bit well if worse comes to worse and I lose too much at least I have no problems gaining weight...lol

Good luck hang in there I know the waiting game is the hardest part!!

Most Active
Recent Topics