Are Straws as Evil as they say?

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/14 12:27 am

When I use a straw I will get in all of my fluids.I had a water bottle that I used to drink out of I swore I got more air with that in me than a straw.

MacMadame
on 6/12/14 12:36 am - Northern, CA

That's not universal advice. My program had us using straws in the hospital!

I got in less air with a straw not more. I say, if you use a straw and get in more air and it hurts, stop doing it. But if you don't, then it's dumb to not use them because Suzy down the street gets in more air and it hurts her. That's like not eating cheese because it makes your husband fart.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kellybelly333
on 6/12/14 1:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I was told not to use them in the beginning because you gulp more, and it could cause pain from gas.

I use a large on in my Contingo water bottle, which I love. I never have pain. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

DebS55
on 6/12/14 9:54 am - Canada

I did not use a straw for about a year after surgery, but have been using them on a regular basis ever since, with no issues at all. I am now over 4 years out. I like to put my water in a travel glass with ice and lemon and I use the straw that comes with the glass.

I did and still  have a real problem with travel coffee cups. It doesn't matter which one I use...Tim's, Starbucks, MacDonald's or even my own travel mug. I get a LOT of gas when I use any of them. Apparently I must take in a lot of air when I sip from them. I have never heard anyone else mention that they have the same problem so maybe it is just me. So no problem with a straw just a travel coffee/tea cup! 

Most Active
Recent Topics