Are Straws as Evil as they say?

pugalootz
on 6/11/14 9:44 am - Canada

I know the advice is to NOT use a straw when drinking...BUT...I find it stops me from gulping my drink to quickly.  I haven't noticed any particular problems with swallowing too much air or having increased gas. Gas is just a fact of life with or without surgery!

What's your experience?

Linsie
on 6/11/14 11:40 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I haven't used a straw, but I noticed that when I suck on a freezie (sugar free of course), I have to be careful because I did get some awful pain once from swallowing too much air. Just be careful, if you're good with using one, I say do it until it hurts lol 

Karen M.
on 6/11/14 8:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Yep, extra air can indeed get in there and it hurts, nevermind the gas even lol  Oh well, people will do what they feel justified in doing. ;)

I'm glad you posted Linsie, I was actually thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you're were making out - things are going well so far?

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

RidingFan
on 6/11/14 1:58 pm - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

I started using a straw about 6 months out and have had no problems. Actually feels better and helps me get enough water in a day. Now over a year and I still prefer it to gurgling out of a bottle.

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

4-Jane
on 6/11/14 9:48 pm - Canada

I also use a straw or a drinking bottle with a straw it's what I prefer, and asked at my Center before I did so.  For me it has caused no issues with increased gas.  I have a couple glass straws which are environmentally friendly and I love.  

Respectfully Jane
Jiliana2
on 6/11/14 9:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I was told (like many of us) that straws would introduce air into the stomach and potentially cause discomfort or pain with the extra air in there. I stayed away from straws until about 3 months post-op.

I knew from these forums that some people have no trouble with them at all. I wanted to try it, to see how it went... mainly because I drive 1.5 hours per day (45 min commute) and that is the easiest way to drink while on the road. Tipping up a bottle to my face while driving is not really an option! Very difficult to do and a pothole or two ended up with me making a helluva mess on my clothes and car interior!

So I gave it a shot, and while it did bother me a little at the beginning (I stopped and tried again a week or so later), I find that now it doesn't bother me at all. I have a water bottle with a built in straw that is exclusively for my car. I even took that bottle with me to yesterday's post-op follow up and neither the behaviourist nor the dietitian said a word about it. Lord knows, they both saw me drinking from it!

To each his/her own. I say give it a shot but if it gives you pain or gas, slack off a bit or try again later. And as always, feel free to check with your doc or centre. They'll have some tips or tricks I bet!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Monica M.
on 6/11/14 10:42 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

at my 3 month check up, i remember the dietitian asking if i was able to use a straw yet. I should ahve clarified with her, but i inferred from her question that straw use was something we were to try to acheive.

Katie M.
on 6/11/14 10:51 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I only use one when I am at a restaurant, but they've never given me issues :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Mary A.
on 6/11/14 11:54 pm

I am 5 1/2 yrs post-op and have never used a straw, not sure why people do, maybe for the reason the poster mentioned, but I don't typically gulp, maybe that's why.  I am more sipper

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

hibbyangel
on 6/12/14 12:11 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

i have never had any troubles with straws. I asked at the clinic about it (HRRH) and she said if it works for me and it doesn't cause pain..go with it!

Most Active
Recent Topics