Decided not to do the full CT scan on Tuesday

tg2013
on 7/6/14 8:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

Unless someone can talk me into doing the full CT scan with Oral and IV contrast  I have decided not to do it.  I will be more than happy to do the IV section but after researching things today I found out the Oral aspect is where you drink 12oz. of Barium fluid in an hour.  I have had other tests prior to the RNY surgery in which I had to do that. I really had a difficult time drinking that crap. I think it will be so much more nauseating trying to drink it when my stomach is only 2oz. The test is in a non bariatric facility and when I was called and told what the pre test requirements were, I asked the clerk is that for bariatric patients as well? His reply was ya...  I don't know,  I guess so .

I don't really understand why my doc has scheduled this test  what it will accomplish  My pain is  in my upper back not my abdomen or my pelvis area. This test looks at your intestines below the stomach   I left a message with the nurse practitioner I deal with I deal with at the clinic  and told her I will not do the barium oral drink  but I would do the intravenous aspect of the test. I guess I will find out tomorrow what she says when she calls me back

I guess I am just a stubborn guy    I think three endoscopes and a Ultra sound along with a HIDA test should be enough for one Guinea pig to handle

Troy

Robyn R.
on 7/6/14 10:17 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Troy, I don't blame you. You've been thru a lot already. Best of luck with the NP tomorrow.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 1:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

I don't think any of us are qualified to "convince" you to do anything at all. Hell, if your doctor can't "convince" you that this is a necessary test I'm pretty sure a group of Internet strangers aren't gonna do that. ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica M.
on 7/7/14 4:49 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Troy, as part of a kidney donation workup, they asked me to do a glucose tolerance test, where you have to drink 8 or so ounces of sweeeeeeeet liquid in about a half hour, then get bloodwork done (i think that's how it goes anyway). I explained my situation and they let me bypass that (i have never had issues with irregular blood sugars).

That being said, although your pain is in your upper back, it could be referred pain from somewhere else in your body (for instance, women with ectopic pregnancies frequently feel pain in their shoulder). The location of your pain is not always where the pain is originating.

tg2013
on 7/7/14 7:38 am - Ottawa, Canada

I guess I was looking for someone to say  Hey Troy I had that test done  it wasn't that bad. But alas  no one did.

I did speak to the clinics NP today and she told me she would call over to the hospital where I am doing the test and tell them I will not be able to drink the full amount of the Contrast. She told me that I did have the right to refuse the test but then I run into the situation that the doc does not get all the facts . I do agree with that thought process  so I decided to do my best tomorrow  drink as much of the concoction as I can, hope for the best and try not to throw up

BTW since yesterday they have me going for an MRI as well 

T. 

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 9:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hey Troy, I had that test done and it wasn't that bad.

At all. The contrast I drank tasted like water. Not sweet, nothing. Jus****er.

Good luck.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 7/7/14 12:30 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hey Troy. I've had that test twice. They found my bowel obstruction....it wasn't so bad. Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics