Ottawa PAU appointment

Alberta1
on 7/19/14 8:53 pm - Iroquois, Canada

What can we expect at our PAU appointment?  Is there anything that I should be doing / not doing before I go?  Is it similar to the PATTS?  When do the surgery appointments get arranged?

Referral July 3, 2013 * Orientation October 16, 2013 * Nurse Practitioner November 6, 2013 * Ultrasound December 9, 2013 * Nutritionist & Social Worker December 12, 2013 * 2nd Nutritionist January 27, 2014  *Pulmonary Functions Test Feb 6, 2014* Endoscopy Feb 14, 2014*  2nd Nurse Practitioner March 3, 2014*  Pre-Surgical Class April 16, 2014* Surgeon Dr. Neville May 20, 2014* Surgery October 2, 2014

Urbanlamb
on 7/19/14 11:34 pm - Canada

I got my date for surgery (August 18th) about 2 weeks ago.  They contacted me for the PAU a week later.  From what I understand, you will be meeting the nurse and the anesthesiologist.  They will want to make sure you are healthy for the surgery and will answer your questions in regards to post op care. 

Bring a good book...it can be 2-3 hours from what I hear.

*hugs*

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/20/14 3:17 am

I'm not sure what you mean by Pau vs Pattts.  Are you referring to the pre-admission visit?  If so, my understanding is that is what PATTS stands for -pre admission testing whch is done by the preadmission unit.  Generally in Ottawa they give you two times one for the admin side of things and one for the testing.  The admin takes 5 minutes max if there is no line.  Basically they need to know what insurance you have, type of room you want, religion, next of kin etc.  my understanding is that there are only 4 beds in trauma for WLS patients both in double rooms so I don't think it matters what type of room you ask for.  Then it's off to the pre-admission unit for the tests.  I too was it would take 3 hours but it was much closer to 1.5 and the last 15-20 minutes were about yet another research study they want you to participate in.  They do a number of things depending on you personal cir****tances.  They will check your height and weight, do blood work to ensure you are ready for surgery, go over the nitty gritty of the surgery and hospital recovery e.g pain management etc., you will get two more booklets.  You will meet with anesthesiologist who will go over your past surgeries and experiences being put under, confirm allergies, check your throat and teeth to see if there are any issues with a breathing tube, etc.  Some people will get ECGs if they have heart issues, and finally they'll talk to you about the research projects.  Generally there was not a big wait between people.  They put you in one office and cycle through one after the other.  They go over the info in the long form you filled out for the surgeon's approval.  I suppose the only thing you can do is make sure you make them aware of any new changes.  

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/20/14 3:21 am

I forgot to mention you don't get the actual time of your surgery until you get a phone call between 1-5 pm the night before.  My surgery was at 8 am last Wednesday, and they called to tell me the time at 1:15 pm on Tuesday afternoon.  

Most Active
Recent Topics