Melba Toast.... Is it a slider food?

beme_atlast
on 8/3/14 2:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

I have been relying on 12 grain Melba toast and light laughing cow cheese for snacks on the go. I never have more than 4 Melba toasts per day and only 2 triangles of laughing cow.   It just occurred to me that maybe Melba toast is a slider food and a waste of calories. 

What do you think?

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/3/14 3:01 am - Windsor, Canada

Crackers are generally slider foods - yes.  They break down into nothing and you can eat a good portion if you are not careful.  But out of most crackers, it is probably one of the better kinds.  If you are going to have crackers (and I recommend using them sparingly, measured portions as grazing can always get us into trouble) they are great if they have fibre in them.  That's the only nutritional benefit generally that crackers will have for you.  So compared to many other crackers, melba toast is probably one of the better alternatives.  I do it with laughing cow as well.  I think my crackers have something like 4-5 grams of fibre if I remember correctly. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

beme_atlast
on 8/3/14 3:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

Thanks...that's what I thought.  I think I'll have to get more creative for my snacks on the run and rely less on melba. The good news is that my Melba toast also has 3 grams of protein per serving (4 toasts) so as you said it is better than some crackers.

Cheers...Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics