Gastric Band to Bypass - RNY corrected from RYN :)

DarleneTay
on 8/28/14 5:09 pm, edited 8/30/14 5:17 am

I am just wondering if anyone here had a gastric band and then switched to gastric bypass surgery?  I would be very interested in hearing about your journey and getting some tips from you as I'm in that situation right now. I'm still in the very early process and waiting for my orientation.  I have suffered with severe GERD since being banded 7 years ago. I also have not done well with the weight loss.  I've had my band replaced once due to a faulty band.  I'm tired of the band. I'm not successful with the band.I really don't feel it was the right WLS for me. I need the "hard" stop of the RYN. I know it is a tool, just like the band, but I need more help and from what I'm reading the RNY will do this with it being both a restrictive and malabsorption procedure. Any members thoughts on this would be appreciated :)

Mamazoune
on 8/29/14 7:49 am - Canada
Revision on 08/01/12

Hi there,

I had my band removed in an emergency surgery.  I lost about 50 lbs with the band but had so many complications with it, it was rediculous.  I also had over 100 lbs to lose and was gaining back my weight, had reflux and had to get emergency proceedures done on three separate occasions (I lived 5 hrs away from the hospital who specialized in the surgery).  After the emergency surgery in 2011, I felt so discouraged and confused. I gained all my weight back and then some. I told the surgeon that I wanted the RYN and to please refer me to the proper people to have it done.  It took over a year but I had the surgery in 2012 and have lost over 110 lbs since that time.  I feel absolutely human again. The band cost me over $20 thousand dollars after all was said and done and was a complete failure, with no support, follow-up.  I will never recommend it to anyone.  The process from start to finish to get the RYN took about a year but, you are surrounded by a team, get education and support (and is covered by OHIP).  The biggest support throughout my journey by far has been the nurse practitioner and nutritionist (aside from my wonderful husband and children).  I have had kidney stones, vitamin deficiency, dump and have Reactive hypoglycemia.  BUT, all can be controlled by good nutrition, hydration, and routine.  I wish I had done the surgery first...I am told that a revision is not as effective....but I am happy with my weight loss.  I have regained my life, mobility and self-confidence.  My life has changed in so many ways.

My belly, looks like a pin cushion.  Between the band in and out surgery and this one....but I never wore a bikini so....If you are going to get RYN have your band removed at that time and avoid a third surgery and possible weight gain.  If I were to do it again I would have loved to have access to this website, discuss other revision surgeries and chose what is right for you.

Le me know how things work out.  Good luck!

Mamazoune                
DarleneTay
on 8/30/14 5:20 am, edited 8/30/14 5:20 am

Thanks so much for sharing your journey Mamazoune.  I've heard some pretty big horror stories about the band, and yet I've heard some successful ones also. I actually have been lucky that although I've had some issues, I've certainly not had anything like what you did.

I am really hoping for the band removal and a RNY done at the same for sure. One anesthetic is enough for me. But I will take the safest route that is recommended. I know the Dr that gave me that band said he would be more than willing to remove it. So that is good. I wish he did RNY also as I love this Dr and trust him so much!!

Most Active
Recent Topics