So Upset - I've been declined bypass :(

DarleneTay
on 9/5/14 4:31 am

I just received a call from my family Dr stating that I have been declined by the Ministry of Health for gastric bypass as I have a gastric band. Something about the band not being insured here in Canada?? If it is not insured how could they approve it to be used?  They didn't state if I had the band removed I would then be considered for bypass. I honestly don't know which way to turn or what route to go here. Right now I just feel I'm destined to be fat and depressed the rest of my life.  I've had so many problems with my band and now denied the bypass.  I just want to curl up and cry.  Yup.. I think I will do just that.

Onward and
Downward

on 9/5/14 4:40 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

That's odd - I thought they did revisions through the program.  You're not asking for them to put in a band, you're asking for a revision to RNY. I'm sure I've seen lots of people on OH get revisions through OHIP.

Check with others on OH to see how they had their revisions done - there has to be a way!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

mellabella115
on 9/5/14 6:24 am - North York, Canada

Sorry to hear that... what stage of the process were you at before hearing the bad news? Already in the program?

LittleMiss2013
on 9/5/14 6:40 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Is there a chance they misunderstood and thought you were applying to GET a band? I would try again maybe. Not sure what to say except don't give up. It's discouraging no doubt....but don't give up. Find a way to try again, I am sure there is a way to get approved...you just have to figure out what it is =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Pegasus_AM
on 9/5/14 7:00 am

I have to agree I wonder if there has been a colossal misunderstanding. I would call the ministry myself and ask.if you can.discuss your case with someone.!!! 

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

NorthernStar
on 9/5/14 7:23 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I agree with other posters. You need to get to the bottom of this, there has been a misunderstanding. The Ministry doesn't approve or deny these, the referral network sends your information on to the appropriate hospital and you work with them. You shouldn't be dealing with OHIP from the get go like that. 

Many GPs are not familiar with how the process works. They may not have completed your referral properly. 

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

DarleneTay
on 9/5/14 7:51 am

Thanks everyone..I have a call into Humber Bariatric Program and left a voice message asking for clarification and what my next step is.  The Dr said in the letter he received that the gastric band was not insured??  I'm wondering if it is because I had the band insertion done in a private clinic and not the hospital?  My Dr said the Ministry of Health, but maybe he was mistaken? I also have a call into my clinic where the band was placed to see if they have had other patients in the same situation. So discouraging. I have done so much research and had my heart set on this. A new beginning. 

LittleMiss2013
on 9/5/14 8:55 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

That's what makes me wonder if there was some kind of clerical error or misunderstanding and they think you are applying to RECEIVE a band....which is not covered by OHIP (insured). RNY is the only bypass surgery covered by OHIP in Ontario. VSG can be covered if you have extenuating cir****tances and cannot have the RNY.....but he Band is NOT covered. Removing it and having an RNY "should" in theory be fine. Unless they won't even cover removal of the band in order to perform RNY...but that seems a little ridiculous. Hopefully you get some solution. Like I said....keep making calls, drive em nuts, and re-apply. ONE of the doors will open...you just have to find the right one =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

PaulaToronto
on 9/5/14 9:29 am - Toronto, Canada

did you ask for a revision and to remove the band or did you ask for just the intestines to be done and keep the band.  OHIP does approve removal of band and revision to RNY or VSG.  You need to clarify with OHIP

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

KattattaK
on 9/5/14 10:15 am

If you are having problems with the band, fight with your insurance to have it removed and perhaps go from there if they aren't approving a revision with removal. So sorry you are going through this :(

Most Active
Recent Topics