Treadmill or Elliptical?

msmuggins
on 9/25/14 11:22 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from all you post-ops out there.  I'm about to order a piece of fitness equipment, as an investment toward my new lifestyle, both pre and post op.  I'm leaning toward an elliptical only because at the present time I'm too heavy to run, and I've had good experiences using elliptical a in the past. But I wonder if it would be a better idea to buy a treadmill because once my weight is low enough for me not to hurt my knees, I want to start running.  Any thoughts from those of you who bought fitness equipment after surgery?  I'm intending to buy commercial quality. 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Poppios
on 9/25/14 12:28 pm
I went with a recumbent bike. I tried using a treadmill but I found one of the first places I lost weight was right around my knees and I had an issue with my inner knees smashing together and that was a no go. I've had my bike for about 2 weeks now (Just over 4 months post-op) and I do 10K/30mins each morning and then still try to get in 4-5K walking a day.

msmuggins
on 9/25/14 12:34 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks, Poppios!  

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Catw
on 9/25/14 10:02 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I haven't used either lately (need to get back to it though) but I always preferred the eliptical myself.  Less impact on joints.  Plus you can go backwards which I was told exercises your muscles differently.

Good luck with your decision.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/14 10:54 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

When I first started exercising years ago I got a treadmill.  I quickly realised I made a mistake and got an elliptical.  I sold the treadmill and continue to use the elliptical  - with no regrets as it is just more versatile.   When I feel like walking or running now I head outside...

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kelly

msmuggins
on 9/26/14 12:43 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks all!  I think I might end up doing a combo of each. I've found a reasonably priced and very sturdy treadmill that would be perfect for doing a lot of walking, especially as we move into winter.  Once I've lost enough weight, I can try running, and if that doesn't work for me, I'll sell the treadmill and buy a commercial quality elliptical.  The treadmill I'm looking at folds, which is helpful as I have space constraints.

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Most Active
Recent Topics