Questions

Crackerno
on 10/1/14 1:57 am - Canada

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and grateful to know there are people that know about this procedure.

I'm just in the process and have some questions grateful for any advise:

So far I have seen the Nurse, Social Worker and now on Monday see the Nutritionist and my last appt on Dec 5th with Dietician. 

1. How are you notified that you are a candidate for surgery?

2. How long after your appts do you find out?

3. If you are a candidate how long to see the surgeon?

4. Usually how to wait for surgery date?

5. Has anyone been refused and why?

Grateful for any replies.

tg2013
on 10/1/14 6:45 am - Ottawa, Canada

HI

I think each clinic in the province operates a bit differently from one another. I live in Ottawa so I went to the Ottawa Clinic

to answer your questions from my clinic

1. I was a candidate from when I signed the paper after the open house group session ( Middle of June 2013) It took 2-1/2 months to meet with the Nurse practitioner and dietitian . At the interview with the nurse she re affirmed I was still interested in the procedure. I said I was . She then set up a bunch of tests  I.e. blood ,ultra sound, Heart etc. After that she set me up appointments with the behaviorist and a second meeting with the Nurse prac. All which happened 4 months after my 1st appointment with the Nurse. I also met with the dietitian to get some advice on how to change my diet to suit post surgery. I was then set up a second appointment with the dietitian at the same time as the other two appointments

2. At each stage you are either passed or failed. They told me right there and then    I was failed at the 2nd meeting with the nurse because my A1C was too high and she pushed me back 3 months on the "next available surgery ladder"   I was passed at the behaviorist  so I didn't have to see her again nor did she say I had to see a psychologist. The Nutritionist didn't pass me at the time  so I set up another appointment with her as well. In April of 2013 I was passed in all the respective areas

3. I met my surgeon in the Middle of August 2013  It also depends on how many patients they have in the clinic and how many pass all the steps. We have four bariatric surgeons in Ottawa's clinic  They average two surgeries a week each

4. I was given my surgery date with in a month  and had my surgery Oct 24th of last year  So a year and three months wait   If I had passed all the areas  I would of had my surgery in a year. 

5. As I said I was refused at two stages   Blood sugar too high and not ready for the proper eating requirements for after the surgery. Once I showed the dietitian my food journal she was satisfied I was eating properly and passed me.   My advice is to go in with a plan in your head and stick to it  don't get deflated if your are not passed right away just keep in mind the road is a long one and even after the surgery the road will continue

Troy

Crackerno
on 10/1/14 11:42 am - Canada

Thanks Troy I appreciate the info!

caramilk016
on 10/1/14 8:11 am - Mississauga , Canada
RNY on 10/22/14

I don't know where you are, but in Toronto you have to see a team of different people, and then they will get together to discuss whether or not you qualify for surgery. If you do, you are given a surgeon appt.

My last appt with seeing the team in Toronto was May 16th, 2014. I was then given a surgeon appt of July 4th, 2014. Which I had to postpone due to a family medical emergency. 

I met the surgeon August 15th, 2014 and was given my surgery date within 3 days of meeting him. My date is October 22nd 2014. Prior to my surgery I have to do Optifast for 4 weeks. 

Crackerno
on 10/1/14 11:44 am - Canada

Thanks for the info! Good luck with the surgery. I'm in Toronto as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics