Has anyone had to deal with non supportive Family Doctor?

Karen K.
on 10/19/14 1:25 pm - Ontatio, Canada

My family Doctor has been non supportive to all his patients who inquire about this surgery and are seeking a referral. He makes you go to a walk in clinic and I've gotten very mixed answers from his office. He has his own weight loss private business he runs out of his family practice. I'm well on my way at this point, just about to see the dietitian, social worker and nurse, but had to jump through hoops to get here. I'm concerned about post op care. I'm from North Bay. I've been told he is obligated to treat me but I may be back at the walk in Dr. *****ferred me. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues of this nature. Switching doctors is tricky here in the North where you are lucky to have one.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/14 2:17 pm

Your doctor is not obligated to treat you. Just like you they have a right not to treat patients they do not want to associate with. However, my clinic sent a letter to my doctor and my doctor had to sign it agreeing that I would be under his care after surgery. 

Needanewbeginning
on 10/19/14 11:01 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, that's so true. I forgot about that. My GP signed it as well when she sent the referral to the registry they sent a lack age to her explains I was in the program and she needed to sign off that she would assist me with labs and things like that. So whoever sent your referral will be the place for follow ups after your first year. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Needanewbeginning
on 10/19/14 10:58 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Your bariactric centre will do your follow ups and take care of your needs. I know your not close, I think your through HRRH? But your follow ups are one month, three, six and one year post op. From the wls friends I know up north, they wont approve you if you don't commit to these appoints. Mind you, this is from a year ago, this may have changed now.

I know several wls patients hours away. They had to commit as well. Maybe discuss this at your next appoint with your centre as well as explain your situation with your family Dr.

I don't see my family Dr for anything related to my surgery and she is around the corner from my house. She doesn't have the knowledge about wls surgery and admits that. Sure I see her for other things but anything about my wls, absolutely not. 

If you have issues, I mean severe issues or complications you would go to your emergency dept anyway. You could always call your centre for advice as well as your surgeons office. There is always help but don't count on your GP to be the one to do it, especially one that runs their own clinic and hasn't been supportive of your journey.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics