Anyone cheat on pre surgery Optifast?

Laurie_L
on 10/21/14 10:31 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/14

Hi,

Started my 3 week optifast last Friday. Surgery date Nov 7. What i wouldnt give for just a handful of peanuts!! Lol. 

Has anyone cheated while on optifast? 

kimber291
on 10/21/14 1:17 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Not I.

I figured if I couldn't last on the Optifast without cheating then how would I last a lifetime controlling those impulses. 

It's not worth the cheat...you can do this! 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Laurie C.
on 10/21/14 7:01 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

No I didn't eat anything, the closest I came to cheating was running my finger across my husband's barbequed pork chop and enjoying the taste.  Sounds pretty sad now but it was so important then, lol.

Don't cheat, you won't benefit.  All you get is a bad case of the guilts which you would deserve.

Keep your eye on the prize.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

EllenMW
on 10/21/14 10:11 pm

Hi Laurie, I did 3 wks of Opti, had surgery Oct 7, I did not cheat...but was allowed 2 cups of green veggies a day...what hosp are you having it done?  I just kept my eye on the prize, and after the first week, it just became routine to make the shakes, drink water/decaf tea, and eat the veggies..which in fact altho i was allowed them I didnt always have them. 

So if you are allowed the veggies...make a stirfry out of them/ or salad with no dressing just some lemon juice, 2cups is alot in a day.  

Good luck!!

RYMEBE73
on 10/22/14 12:47 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

When the time comes for me to be on Opti before surgery, I don't think it'll be a problem.  I did the non-surgical program, which basically has you on OPTI for approximately 12 weeks, it was a breeze for me, I was never hungry on it, but once we started incorporating food back in, my stomach woke up from the OPTI coma and it didn't take long before I started feeling like I was starved...this is why I've decided to give the surgery route another try, shrinking my stomach will definitely help with the grumbles as it will have less space...

don't cheat, you can do this!!  as everyone else has been saying, keep your eye on the prize!

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Laurie_L
on 10/22/14 8:29 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/14

Thank you all for your replies.  

My eye is on the prize, I am looking forward to a healthier life. Thank you for the encouragement. Today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today:)  found caramel and coconut extract so will try having a "caramilk bar" shake tonight for dinner!  Unfortunately no veggies!  Only shakes, broth, jello, crystal ligh****er and sugar free popsicles; so only liquids.  Veggies should be added in, I cant see veggies interfering with organ shrinkage. 

Im having my Surgery done in Ottawa, Dr. Yelle. 

Jiliana2
on 10/22/14 10:47 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had my surgery in Ottawa with Dr. Yelle as well. The Opti phase was tough and I was doing two of my three weeks of Opti while in Florida on vacation. THAT was tough.

I confess, I did have two days while on Opti in Florida that my family went out to eat. So in three weeks, I did have two meals of protein (seared salmon) and steamed veggies. It was delicious but damn, I felt guilty for doing it. I didn't have any carbs or junk or anything, and certainly no handful of peanuts. My theory was that if I was going to "cheat" then at least it would be healthy food, much like I would need to eat post-op. I did it. I enjoyed chewing it. And I regretted having done it.

My advice? Stick to the Opti and white-knuckle it. Don't go the route of junk like peanuts, chips, carbs, etc. Do what you have to in order to get to surgery. It WILL be worth it.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active
Recent Topics