Support Group in Barrie - Previous post

Dar_Tay
on 11/5/14 10:51 pm - Canada

There was a post a few days ago about a support group in the Barrie area. The member asked that anyone interested in the lady's contact number that runs the group to please pm her.

I can't find that post. Does anyone remember who this member was?  

Wendy-Louise
on 11/6/14 12:25 am - Canada

I am also looking for a support group in Barrie, so hopefully someone responds.:)

Dar_Tay
on 11/6/14 12:39 am - Canada

The last information I have for a support group in Barrie is :  Ferris Lane Community Church of the Nazerene
49 Ferris Lane Barrie, ON
1 - 4 PM

I'm wondering if this is the same one the lady runs or if there is another. And also does this one still run??

Dar_Tay
on 11/6/14 12:41 am - Canada
Needanewbeginning
on 11/6/14 1:40 am, edited 11/6/14 1:44 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, that's the Barrie group. I have never gone, but I hear its very good. There is also another very informal one at a Timmy's I think in Barrie? Us that the one your thinking of? One is in orillia as well.

Annette 👍

edited to add: KristieA is the lady that runs the Orillia group, not sure if she runs the Barrie one as well? 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

KristieA
on 11/6/14 11:46 pm - Orillia, Canada

There are a few things in Barrie.

1.  Barrie WLS Support group.  This one is run by a volunteer leader (Sharrol Blakely-Viera).  They meet the third Saturday each month.  Ferris Lane Community Church of the Nazarene - 49 Ferris Lane.  1-4pm.  No cost.  Sometimes we do a 50/50 draw to help with photocopies etc.  Pre-op, post-op and support people are all welcome to come.   Next meeting is Nov 15/14.   December one we are having a Christmas potluck so the time will be different.

2.  HRRH is running a teleconference style group at Georgian College Barrie (I think this is the one you wanted info about).  It is the last Thursday of the month 6-8pm.  Currently you need to call HRRH and speak to Susan the social worker as there is a waiting list for the sessions.  I don't have her extension handy, but you can call 416-744-2500 ext 3720 (the Bariatric Clinic) and ask for Susan the Social Worker.  Her last name is Lachele or something like that.  This group is more like a workshop with a topic that is presented by Susan and then the group interacts via the teleconference.  The room only holds about 20 people max so they need to know who is coming.  Over 20 would make it difficult to facilitate the flow of the group.

3.  There is also an informal coffee group that meet on Wednesday evenings (every Wednesday presently).  Bayview and Churchill Tim Hortons @ 7pm.    Sandra and Rick are the main contacts.  Sandra usually posts a reminder on Facebook each week.  If you are on Facebook and want to PM me I can send your info to them.  Not sure if they are on OH.

4.  Orillia - we had a coffee group running but the last few months there hasn't been many people coming.  I coordinate that one.  I think we are going to break for a months or two and then I will try again in January.  Maybe a different day or time.

If you need any more info, just let me know.  Feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,

Kristie (Facebook - Kristie Anderson; Orillia)

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Dar_Tay
on 11/9/14 3:25 pm - Canada

Thanks so much for this wonderful information!

Very much appreciated.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics