"Let's Talk" Day

Helna_Handbasket
on 1/28/15 3:32 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

Hello -

Well I don't know about you, but I have zero problem admitting that I have struggled with anxiety and depression - both of which are a direct result of how I feel about myself and the weight I carry.  It's part of that cycle I've been on for 20 years - I am fat therefore I comfort myself by eating, which leads to getting fatter, therefore I am depressed about my appearance & social anxieties kick in, so I eat, then I get fat, then I eat.. blah blah blah.. I am sure I am not alone on this.  I have been going to counselling for a solid year now to work through all those fun issues (and back issues, and special issues & limited edition issues) to come to a better understanding about myself and my love/hate relationship with food (and myself).  Which has brought me to the journey of pursuing WLS.  

So why bring this up?  Well today is Bell "Let's Talk Day".  All day Wednesday, Bell will donate 5 cents for each text message sent, mobile and long distance call made, Facebook share and tweet using the #BellLetsTalk hashtag.  It's such a simple thing to do - so I encourage - no I CHALLENGE you all to make at least one Facebook share, or Twitter hashtag, or phone a long distance loved one.  

I sincerely hope you (the group) don't mind me posting this - I am a pre-op newbie admittedly and don't want to rock the boat when it comes to posting "non-surgery" related topics.  

Thank you in advance :) Cheers

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

Patm
on 1/28/15 3:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thank you fro posting this. Many of us continue to have mental health issues. I have just re-tweeted on my company site to promote this.

mum2TNT
on 1/28/15 5:12 am - Oshawa, Canada

just tweeted 

:)

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Karen M.
on 1/28/15 7:41 pm - Mississauga, Canada

So glad you posted about this. Mental health is equally important to physical health and it's saddening to see the continued stigma in admitting to suffering with depression/anxiety, a completely chemical imbalance that IS medically treatable and is NOT a character flaw. I have to give Bell a lot of credit for their "Let's Talk" campaign - it's all over the TV and has really raised awareness to the importance of mental health and the understanding and removal of the "crazy" stigma. I'm hopeful they'll continue with the commercials/campaign and don't limit it to "Let's Talk Day".

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/28/15 9:43 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

My son suffers major anxiety and goes to college. Yesterday his college had people in Bell jerseys all over the school stopping people asking to stop and talk about mental illness. Needless to say it made his anxiety quite high at school! 

Most Active
Recent Topics