Coffee

Karen M.
on 2/20/15 11:26 pm - Mississauga, Canada

The "no caffeine" isn't really new - it started coming up in conversation here when Ontario formed the Bariatric Registry/Network over 6 years ago and the bariatric centres coordinated with each other for a large part of their information/"guidelines and rules" they shared with patients across the province. I don't think Humber River has leaned to the anti-caffeine stance (that is where I had surgery) but most others have. You'll notice a few differences when people write about post-op menus (for example, Guelph tells people not to eat red meat for the first 6 months and to get their protein from food, not protein shakes) but many of the "rules" appear to be surgeon specific. With respect to coffee, it IS acidic, so I'd lean to following whatever my centre told me to do.

I guess you'll have to wait and see what your particular centre recommends.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/15 12:11 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It's fairly new to us old timers that are going on 10 years.  LOL  I was the one that said it was fairly new as I thought it was about 4 years or so ago.  I still find that a new rule considering for the 20 years before that, they never said to eliminate. :)

Paula1965
on 2/20/15 9:03 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

I just met with my surgeon for my first pre-op consultation visit and was told to never drink any coffee - even decaf due to the acidity of it. Looks like I have herbal teas in my future instead!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

nbeatty
on 2/20/15 11:35 pm - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

I had my surgery at Humber in October 2014 and they did ask me to give up caffeine until 1 yr post op.  I've been drinking decaf for over a year now and I'm really fine with it (both tea and coffee).  I had about a week of feeling head-achy and tired after giving it up, but can't see a reason to go back now, especially since I had terrible acid reflux previously and ulcers are not uncommon in my family.  I guess each person is unique though. :)

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

TES
on 2/21/15 1:30 am - Ottawa, Canada

I am out of Ottawa and was told no caffeine in any form.  I stick to 2 or 3 decaf a day.  I have accidentally had "fully loaded" coffee twice (a friend forgot and served me regular and I was distracted a Tim Horton's and forgot to specify "decaf"), and it didn't bother me a whit.  I'm 7 months out and will probably stick with decaf until the "honeymoon" period is over and then transition back to full-caff.

TES

Blueiiis
on 2/21/15 10:50 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I have a secret. I have been drinking a cup of coffee per day the last couple of months.  i have felt really guilty about it as we are not supposed to have caffiene.... I make two cups a day, but drink only about a half cup each time. It's the only beverage I have other than water.  So far no problems and other than this I follow the plan closely.

1HealthyMomma
on 2/22/15 1:14 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Interesting......http://www.livestrong.com/article/511107-how-to-neutralize-t he-acid-in-coffee/

Coffee can be acidic, particularly if it is decaffeinated I found this statement odd.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

redviking
on 2/26/15 2:27 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Of course you should follow your centre's instructions.  In Guelph they never really made a big deal about the coffee. So I did decaf 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. Now I drink a non-fat latte from Starbucks pretty much daily and then maybe 1 or 2 cups of brewed coffee.  I'm honest about it with the dietitian and nurse and I do think about it and swap out coffee for water if I think I've been over doing it. 

I have to say that coffee all through the process, before and after surgery, coffee has been something that makes me feel "normal".  I've always found comfort in the ritual of a starbucks visit or having a coffee with friends.  It's one thing (besides water) that I don't have overthink! And it smells amazing and is warm in my hands on these frigid days, and I feel so happy when I know I'm about to get a fix, er, I mean cup...ok, maybe I have do have an addiction problem! 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Most Active
Recent Topics