Hi everyone

Diane1963
on 3/29/15 11:08 am - Orangeville , Canada

Dr Reed did my gastric bypass, dec 4, 2014.  So far I'm down 59.5 lbs. still have trouble eating certain things, does that ever go away?

LittleMiss2013
on 3/29/15 11:19 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I am a year and a half and I would say by 1 year I could eat about anything....except too much sugar/fat. However....just because I CAN eat it, doesn't mean I want to. Certain things....like pork....I can eat, but they feel heavy and just generally....off somehow. So I only eat them once in a blue moon. Most things after a year will go down fine, but there will usually be one or 2 things that just dont sit right =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Diane1963
on 3/29/15 11:35 am - Orangeville , Canada

I start each day with a big mug of herbal tea, then greek yogurt, blueberries and multigrain Cheerios.

my usual proteins are hummus, eggs, light marble cheese, and chicken, and greek yogurt.

im still having trouble with vegetables, I really have to go slowly with them, I tried salad last week for the first time. Was really good! Lol

im also having trouble with bread, wraps etc, yet I can eat a muffin - what's with that? Eh. My main grains are - Melba toast, Cheerios, oatmeal, rice. 

Thx, so great to be able to talk with someone who's been through this!!! ☺️

Seyenna
on 3/29/15 12:38 pm, edited 3/29/15 12:43 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

You should check out the thread that's posted here every day about what people eat. In my very humble opinion I think that cereals and rice should be a no go? I could be wrong, but personally I just don't touch any pasta, grains, bread, etc. I even worry about yogurt because the flavored kinds have too much sugar for my taste. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Diane1963
on 3/29/15 12:49 pm - Orangeville , Canada

I use greek yogurt - vanilla flavored, by source. It's got no added sugar - uses Splenda and has no added mf. Only 50 cal. My nutritionist told me to get on it. My saving grace for a while, I couldn't eat any protein except for milk and yogurt for a while. 

Seyenna
on 3/29/15 12:43 pm, edited 3/29/15 12:48 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way, I had my surgery at TWH just a few weeks after you, this is a great place to be.

Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Diane1963
on 3/29/15 12:46 pm - Orangeville , Canada

Hi Seyenna

nice to meet you! How goes your journey? 

Seyenna
on 3/29/15 12:51 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm good! I can tolerate most foods. Sometimes I get massive dizzy spells that I'm told could be hypoglycemia, and eating cheese and and orange or something helps. I'm sleepy a lot still but that is getting much better too. I used to be the girl that would live off 5 hours of sleep a night and I simply cannot do that anymore, lol.

Karen M.
on 3/29/15 7:34 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Diane, I'm glad you found the Ontario forum - welcome. :)

I too am curious about the amount of carbs you're eating - a muffin or bread or rice or Cheerios? These were not on my food plan and are still not on my food plan and I am 9 years post-op.

Your diet should be protein forward at all times. Protein first and then vegetable (no starchy vegetables such as potatoes) and then the tiniest bit of a carbohydrate and even then, only if you have room. At your stage, I wouldn't imagine you have that room to spare.

No sugar, no refined carbs and definitely no rice.

You've had a great loss thus far - the surgery is pretty fool-proof for the first months. But this is the time to be re-learning how and what to eat and as someone who is a successful 9 year vet, I would seriously kick the carbs out of your menu.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diane1963
on 3/30/15 5:35 am - Orangeville , Canada

Hi karen

my nutritionist was ensuring that I follow the Canadian food guide. Yes, to eating proteins first. I have fruit 2x, breakfast and a snack, then veg 2x, usually lunch and dinner. The one snack is only protein, im usually eating a grain at breakfast and dinner. My meal plans have included bread, cereal, rice, oatmeal since getting back onto soft foods. 

Breakfast I have Cheerios, all bran doesn't work. And at dinner I have rice, or potato as I'm to have protein, veg and grain. 

I guess different centers have different guidelines? 

This certainly is a large learning curve! 

Most Active
Recent Topics