Refused knee replacement due to morbid obesity

shirleigh
on 8/28/15 7:57 am

Refused knee replacement at QCH Ottawa due to weighing 260 even though Dr. Described my knee as stage 4 and called it horrible. Asked when was the last time you walked around the block? If I could walk around the block I wouldn't need surgery. I am 68, awaiting an app't re lap band revision to Roux-en-Y. i feel I am in a catch 22. I also need carpal tunnel surgery but I need to be able to walk without a walker. I worked 40 years as a registered nurse and have severe spinal stenosis. But I do walk with a walker. I went to the surgical information session at the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital from which I graduated but due to being over 65 I must see the Dr. first.  Has anyone else been in a similar cir****tance here in Ottawa and do you have any advice?

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/28/15 9:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

Everyone has to see the doctor in order to be approved -- not just patients of a certain age! 

I don't know what the guidelines are now, but when I was going through the process (three years ago), they often refused to perform the surgery on patients over 65. When I went to see the surgeon (in Ottawa), there was a woman in the waiting room who went in ahead of me -- we chatted while we were waiting...for a long while as they were at least an hour late.  When she came out, she told me that it looked they weren't going to proceed because of her age (she was over 65), but that her case would go to rounds...but chances weren't good.  She had mobility issues herself due to a serious fall she had taken.

I don't know if this still holds, but I would go in there to meet the doctor and be very determined, especially in light of the fact that they won't do a knee replacement due to your weight.  Be prepared and have your reasoning ready.  Are there also alternatives you might consider, like the medical (optifast) program? 

I wish you the best of luck!

DD

shirleigh
on 8/29/15 12:53 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I do have to consider all my options. I understand that there is a long wait list of up to a year to get into the medical programme. I am considering going to Dr Bishop's Clinic on Carling Avenue. At my age and state I feel time is of the essence. I have had a personal coach for the last 2 years which has been very helpful and I did manage to lose 45 lbs. Since I moved back home to Ottawa at the end of 2013 I immediately developed cellulitis and a lift heel ulcer. I was not allowed to bear weight on my left leg for 8 months and that meant a wheelchair at my weight.  After I took senior exercises twice a week for 2 months but then my knee suddenly worsened to the point where I need surgery badly. Is the Ottawa group currently active on this site? Thank you again I am a true believer that Information is Power and we have been away from Ottawa for about 30 years.

HKT53
on 8/28/15 12:11 pm - Toronto, Canada

I hear your frustration, I really lived what you are living now. Six years ago, I was in need of knee replacement. It took the next three years finally getting my knee replacement. I kept going back to the surgeon and he kept telling me I was too heavy. Well I went on a diet and lost 40 lbs. the surgeon was impressed and scheduled the surgery. I wish I had known about the opti fast program. I had to go to a high protein and leafy vegetable diet. I'm serious, that's all I had meats and leafy vegetables. I just don't know the exact wording right now but for every 5 lbs you loose, you relieve 10 lbs of pressure off your knee. Write down your immediate needs and wants and juggle them around. You are going to see you need to loose the weight to have the knee replacement and get off the walker to fix your carpal tunnel. I know, still have not fixed carpal, but my acceptance for RNY was much more important. I watched my Mom at 65 go through what you are dealing with. That was 30 years ago and the surgeon did replace two knees at the same time with plastic knee replacements and she was 375 lbs. not good. She could walk in a store with me for about six months and then all gave out and in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. My knee replacement was titanium. Probably that is what all knee replacements are today. Take care of yourself. DD comments are right, I wish I knew of the opti program. Wishing you much success with weight loss, replacing knee, carpal and eventually going out for a walk. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

shirleigh
on 8/29/15 1:05 pm

I can really relate to your reply. My left knee was replaced in 2004 so it is at risk now taking the full brunt of my weight as I attempt to lose weight and remain as active as possible. As I said it is a catch 22 situation. I understand Dr. Bishop has an optifast programme as one of the choices. At this point it may end up being a more immediate answer for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics