1st Week Post Op Appointment with PCP - So Frustrating!

TK1966
on 11/27/15 11:35 am - Canada
RNY on 11/17/15

I just had the most frustrating visit with my PCP!

I had a feeling I would be dealing with some attitude as he procrastinated last Sept in referring me to the program. In the end one of his Nurses told me she would make sure it got sent in and did it that day. 

So fast forward to today:

A Physician's Assistant completes the preliminary exam and asks me some questions, looks at the discharge paperwork from TWH etc. She is lovely, informed on Bariatric Surgery and asks follow up questions on my responses. It was great. Like being at TWH almost.

Then my Doctor comes in. Good grief.

The first thing he says to me tis hat he "wants me to know that this surgery is very controversial and that most people fail"

He says that he "can't believe that it was covered by OHIP". That he "didn't feel I would qualify".

I told him that I knew I would qualify because I had done the research prior, I told him that the program at TWH was very involved and had lasted over a year for me. I listed all of the care and supported I had been given, all of the follow up that would come, that he had known me for 25 years and knew me to struggle with my weight the entire time. I told him that I knew of at least 30 people personally who had had the surgery - some had failed, some had succeeded and that one of them was 7 yrs post op and doing very well. I was so MAD!

He said well I hope you don't fail. And I said, I hope so too but what I need from my PCP is support!

Seriously - I feel like looking for a new doctor. What a narrow minded way to deal with a patient he has known for years who is 1 week POST OP!!

Grrr...

END RANT 

Referral made Sept 2014 / RNY @ TWH Nov 17, 2015 - Dr T Jackson

Height: 5' 10" | Born: 1966

Lost on 2 weeks Opti - 14.4

Post Surgery - M1 - 16.4| M2 - 16 | M3 - 16.2 | M4 - 10 | M5 - 10 | M6 - 6.2 | M7 - 6.2 | M8 - 1.6 | M9 - 3.6 | M10 - 2.4

Canadajet
on 11/27/15 12:10 pm

Hi. I had the same issue with my doctor. Prior Prior m surgery, I needed a medical note t be off work. I did not w it from the Klein because my employer looks up th doctor t figure out what you had done even though they a not entitled.   She refused to give me a doctors note to be off work. She told me that she knew nothing about was and could not ethically write a note. I reminded her that she filled out the referral received 2 consult reports from Dr Klein and could she explain to me what she is talking about?  I called the Canadian college of physician and they advised she cannot refuse.   So back to her office and after heated argument she gave me a note. After surgery Dr Klein wanted blood work done by her related to my blood pressure. Brought my hubby. I asked how are you. Said painful abdomen tired etc she laughed and said did you not expect pain. My husband took her task. Gave her a piece of his mind. After a couple of months I will be looking for. New go. Many do not agree with the procedure. My life my choice 

HKT53
on 11/27/15 2:31 pm - Toronto, Canada

Im so sorry for both TK and Canadajet. Unbelievable and don't stand for that garbage from your physician. It infuriates me how these physician can be so narrow minded. I have seen this myself in the past and each time I go for the juggler vein. Until you find a new physician, speak your mind LOUDLY for the entire staff and waiting room to hear. They will back down, their job is not to give attitude but to support you or it will not be you that helps their income.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

White Dove
on 11/28/15 1:42 pm - Warren, OH

Although most doctors will not express those feelings to the patient, the majority of them feel the same way.  They have seen too many weight loss plan and weight loss surgery failures.  Like about 99% of the world they believe that surgery is a patient trying to take the easy way out.  Your best way to get even is to be a success.

My doctor told me that he and his fellow PCP's will have a betting pool on who will be successful with the surgery and who will  gain all their weight back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics