More info on fake sugar

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/17 11:58 am, edited 9/19/17 3:46 pm

I know most of you probably read that I'm allergic to fake sugars but this is a very interesting post that was on Facebook. I follow this health column and this is the latest research on Splenda.

http://wisemindhealthybody.com/dr-mercola/artificial-sweeten ers-cause-cancer/

Smoka
on 9/19/17 5:29 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

You know I've always disliked sweeteners, but I have to say the whole jello, protein drink, flavoured water, puddings, all sweetened with artificial sweeteners has totally turned me off of this whole full fluid stage. I really can't stomach the taste. I have decided to not have any of it. It's soups, broths, ice water, and organic skim milk for me. I am going above and beyond my water and protein requirement easily. I feel great. I will post about it in a minute.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/17 5:46 pm

Yes and you will be healthier.. I keep reading about how fat has stored toxins and chemicals in as you're losing you are dumping it into your system you'll already be using your liver to process this stuff and on top of that you're gonna have all these fake sugars.. not good!!

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/19/17 7:30 pm - Windsor, Canada

One always has the choice as to whether they sugar or not or sweeteners or not.

Mercola is known to be a bit of a quack.

Here's another view on that study

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorbutterworth/2012/04/24/co ntroversial-italian-scientist-says-splenda-causes-cancer/

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/17 7:38 pm

There will always be different opinions- studies that show one thing or another- agreed.. but I would rather be safe than sorry.. I think my body decided on its own that it didn't want anything fake .. so for me it's not a choice anyways.

White Dove
on 9/19/17 7:42 pm - Warren, OH

If sugar were to be discovered today, it would never pass tests as a healthy substance. It might be natural but it contributes to obesity, tooth decay and diabetes.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/17 7:18 am, edited 9/20/17 12:30 am

Well yes .. Practically everything you see today has a high fructose corn syrup which is an altered sweetener from corn. If human beings used regular cane sugar honey and maple syrup in a moderate way it would be OK. High fructose corn syrup affects our brains like Coke because of the receptors that it feeds have you ever had something you could not stop eating well that is because it was playing with your head- so I agree some sugars would not .. but .. corporate America spends millions on lobbyists trying to make sure our foods still have these poisons.. sorry .. sore subject...

White Dove
on 9/20/17 8:04 am - Warren, OH

Spend a little time researching the Pima Indian tribes in Arizona. Before the white man came, they were a lean, strong and healthy people. After a generation of eating white sugar and white flour, they became extremely obese and diabetic.

High fructose corn syrup, I say, was Japan's revenge on Americans for dropping the atomic bomb. I am 69 years old. I remember what people looked and acted like before HFC. An overweight child or adult was rare. Most of us were lean and strong. Diabetes was much rarer.

I have been using Splenda since it was introduced. At first, I had to order it over the internet and it was only available to diabetics.

I looked at all of the studies carefully. The Ramazzini Institute was flawed. The mice who had been given Splenda and those who had not all died.

The mice had to eventually die of something.

Splenda is a wonderful tool for those of us fighting to maintain a healthy weight. It is your choice not to use it, but for millions of us, it is a very important factor in loss and fighting regain. I am also opposed to wheat flour.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/17 8:29 am, edited 9/20/17 2:43 am

I could debate this all day... but I will not .. to each his own as they say!!

Kaylar
on 9/19/17 7:42 pm - Toronto, On

Thanks for posting this! It prompted me to do some reading, and while I'm definitely going to be cautious of artificial sweeteners for other reasons, it seems like we don't actually have a definitive answer yet as to whether or not it's a carcinogen.

The study that prompted the change in its rating by the CSPI is from 2016, and earlier this year a 24-PhD panel from the EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) released a statement that, per the standards for determining cause-effect relationships in cases like these, the study wasn't conducted in a way that would meet the necessary criteria to be definitive, and that the overall body of research into Splenda that is available currently indicates to them that it's completely safe.

However I also saw a few articles mention that the EFSA has sometimes tended to be more corporation-friendly than they should be, so the "completely safe" part might need to be taken with a grain of salt, but from what I'm seeing in the abstract of the statement (link below) they do seem to have some good points.

Apparently the cancer was only developing in the male mice, plus there didn't seem to be any difference in the amount of tumors between different doses of Splenda, and the study wasn't able to explain why. They also were studying the mice from before they were born right up to their natural deaths, which means they're more likely to develop something just because that's how life works when you can only die of natural causes. They had to die from something, and there would be no way to tell which deaths were Splenda-related and which ones weren't, which skews their data.

There's going to be a full Splenda re-evaluation done between now and 2020, so hopefully this one will have more concrete data, but until then we won't really know anything for sure.

Sorry for the information overload! I just find this stuff really interesting and thought I would share. :)

Here's the statement if you want to have a look:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2017.4784/ full

Most Active
Recent Topics