Question For Those Approved by Ohip ooCC

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/10/05 1:02 am - Windsor, Canada
I would like to approach my doctor in regards to WLS. However, I have a not so good feeling about the box the doctor has to complete in regards to getting out of country coverage. What did your doctor write in the box in regards to tissue damage? Do you remember basically what enabled you to get the surgery? I don't know if I have enough serious comorbidities for my doctor to sign the box. Was wondering how I can be my own advocate? Thanks so much, Steph Blackburn
Susanna O.
on 10/10/05 3:51 am - Canada
Stephanie I tried to read your profile to see if there were any insight into your journey. But nothing there yet hon. So let me see if I can assist you. Depending on your co-mobilities, they can be anywhere from arthuritis, to osteoarthurtis (once you have this you have tissue damage), getting winded from walking up and down stairs, just walking, heart disease, thyroid, diabetis, stress incontinence, knees and joint problems, many many things. I myself filled out the form and asked my doctor to sigh it. Be sure to put on the OHIP form your height, weight, and BMI (most important). As well on the back of the form, be sure to state that the wait to see a Canadian Dr. and have surgery is anywhere from 5-7 years. So yes, check off Yes... Susanna
Sally H.
on 10/11/05 8:50 am - Toronto, Canada
Hey there....I sent my package to OHIP five weeks ago but did not put my stats on the form. I gave this information in a letter. Should I be expecting a rejection?
Joyce J.
on 10/10/05 8:56 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Stefani, To be honest the Doctor has to check the boxes that say that you will have tissue damage if you don't have the surgery. If they don't put that OHIP will not approve it. Sad but true. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's what OHIP is like. Take care Joyce
SLHobbs
on 10/13/05 4:15 pm - Powassan, Canada
The doctor must check at least one of the boxes. My doctor checked both boxes (tissue damage and death), because as he stated to me, he couldn't guarantee I'd be alive in a year (had a heart attack at age 47). In addition, my doctor included a letter stating the 5 - 7 year waiting list in Ontario was not acceptable, and I included a lengthy list of my meds, symptoms and diagnoses, and diets tried in the past. Recieved approval in less than two weeks. If you have any joint pains, trouble breathing when walking, etc, these can be considered tissue damage. I broke my leg at work, and it was considered under tissue damage. "Pad" you application with as much information as possible. I have a copy of the info package sent to me last year that my doctor found very helpful. If you'd like a copy, drop me a line. Sandra-Lee
Most Active
Recent Topics