How Did You Pick Your Doctor?

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/17/05 8:26 am - Windsor, Canada
I am hoping for OOCC for roux en y. There are so many doctors in Ontario and Michigan, that I was wondering how you all picked the doctors that you did? Did you meet them and then decide or pick by stats? Thanks Stef
Mary Lou B.
on 10/17/05 9:30 am - St. Thomas Ontario, Canada
Hi Stefani! I am having Lap RNY done on November 28th with Dr. Schram at Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti Michigan. I chose him initially because of the recommendations of another patient. I found out from this patient that Dr. Schram prays with you prior to surgery and that sold me on him! I then attended a seminar at the clinic where I met him when I had my consultation with him. It was at the seminar that I learned his statistics such as 1200+ surgeries performed with NO deaths and NO leaks. He also made me feel very comfortable and did not rush me or talk "down" to me. I just knew he was the right surgeon for me. So, in a nutshell, my advice is to use other patients for referrals and then investigate the surgeons statistics. If all looks well, make an appointment to meet with them. Good Luck, Mary Lou
Nicole R.
on 10/17/05 9:31 am - Kapuskasing, Canada
Hi there Stef I myself had intended to go to Michigan as well.. then I heard about Dr. Starr .. so I went to see my family doc and he referred me to him... I saw him on the 28th of September .. I was impressed by him and his staff and am going for my social service/dietician appointments on November 3rd,,, my surgery is scheduled for March of 2006... Good Luck with everything... I hope this helps.. Nicole
Joyce J.
on 10/17/05 10:37 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Stef, One of my clients had her surgery at the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti Michegan. The same place Mary-Lou is going and she had the same Doctor actually. She told me how wonderful the Clinic and all the staff were that I called and made an appointment and they just gave me a Doctor. I guess I could have requested Dr Schram, but I had Dr Kam and he was wonderful Joyce
Nancy B
on 10/17/05 2:15 pm - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
I met a lady at a party and everyone who knew her were commenting on her weightloss and she was SO happy..at that time, I was in the middle of yet another diet...the Dr Bernstein Diet and didnt psy that much attention to names she mentioned..only that she has had surgery. so a year later, after I find that 900 calories/day and no fats, carbs or sugars is causing me signifigant hairloss and a severe gallbladder condition, I started asking around til I found someone who knew someone who knew her....lol..eventually tracking her down. I called her and she told me all about this Dr Sanderson in TO who was wonderful...I called his office and he was retiring so I was booked with the doctor he trained, that being Dr Hagen. He is Chief of Surgery and specializes in laprascopic. The dietician and the psych lady both recommended him highly. I have alot of confidance in him..he may not smile alot but he knows what he is doing and Im VERY impressed with the care and atttention given by the dietician who works with him. Nancy B
Joyce J.
on 10/17/05 9:48 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Wow Nancy, I did the Bernstein Diet too, lost 100 pounds. Gained back about 120 LOL Spent a fortune too LOL Joyce
Nancy B
on 10/18/05 8:59 am - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
yes..that Bernstein diet works fast..but its NOT HEALTHY! My hair was falling out so bad..they prescribed fish oil capsules. But I was so hungry all the time. I was forever going out of ketosis because Id eat an apple so they'd take away my fruits. I lasted 14 months til I quit..and at 900 calories a day, once I started eating normally, the pounds just piled on so fast!...I managed to keep from gaining it ALL back..except for 25 pounds...Id spent a fortune too and was broken-hearted and felt like such a failure! On top of that, my gall bladder started serious attacks ...pain like Id never felt before...after an emergrency trip to the hospital, I was sent for ultrasound to find that my gall bladder was FILLED with tiny stones and had to come out. I was never told that such a diet could cause serious gall bladder trouble and of all the people I knew who were on the diet, only ONE kept it off (she lost 35 pounds) and she was the ONLY one who DIDNT get gall bladder trouble..everyone else ended up having surgery to remove theirs! In retrospect, I can see that the Bernstein Clinic should be CLEARLY warning people about this possibility...I think they are just too busy making a fortune off desperate people! I wish Id not wasted my money there. Nancy B
Karen G
on 10/17/05 10:30 pm - Brampton, Canada
I researched various surgeons on Obesityhelp.com. I read tons of profiles, including the memorial pages. I ruled out all physicians who had had a fatality. I then began searching the profiles of local OH members only. Reading their posts regarding their experiences. I was able to narrow my choice to three possibilities, from this process. Two were surgeons in Michigan and one was in Rochester. Next, I sent out personal emails to Ontario patients of these surgeons, asking for their references and I attended a local support group, soliciting the same references. This allowed me to narrow the choice to only one surgeon and I submitted for OCC for surgery in Rochester NY. Don't be afraid to email strangers. Ask questions. Check all the references that are available to you. Ask not only about the surgeon, but about the nursing care and the facility. Good luck, Karen G
Nancy B
on 10/18/05 9:08 am - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Karen! I am VERY impressed with your thorough resear*****hoosing a surgeon! Nancy B
Most Active
Recent Topics