Pre-op anxiety this early?

Laurie Parker
on 5/31/11 8:23 am - OR
I have been having major anxiety (panic) attacks for the past 2 days. I don't believe I'm afraid of having the surgery, just the what after?? It was so bad today I had to close my office door and cry i couldn't do anything else. I called my pcp and he ordered some ativan, and that seemed to slow things down a bit. I am 27 days till surgery and if it's this bad already what are the next 3 weeks going to be like? Any comments/feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie
Laurie Parker
[email protected]

Suzanne B.
on 6/3/11 3:03 pm - OR
Hi Laurie,

This is really normal.  I was on the airplane talking myself in and out of going to Mexico to have WLS.  This is really normal.  Please know that having this surgery is going to save your life.  You are going to be healthy, happy and feel much better after having it.  It is a BIG step to take, but it is the right step to take. 

If diet and exercise worked, we would already have been healthy and lost the weight.  You would think twice if your doctor told you that you need surgery to remove your appendix and if you didn't have it you would die.  You would have run to the hospital to have it done.

This is the same thing, you need to have this surgery.  It is going to give you the tool to accomplish your goal.  Pleas hang in there.  I sent you a private message and it has my phone number, call me any time you want to talk and as much as you want to talk.  OK, I am here for you.

Hugs,
Suzanne
Suzanne B
Eugene, OR
Dr. Aceves
10/21/2008 
Start lbs 225
Now 120
Linda_S
on 6/4/11 4:43 pm - Eugene, OR
Laurie - getting emotional is very much a part of this process.  You're about to change your relationship with something you've thought was your best friend all your life (food).  The changes are going to be really big, at least for a while, and, depending on the type of surgery you're having, they could be really big for the rest of your life.  I've ended up with some blood sugar problems from my surgery, but I can tell you that given the option, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.  Being smaller and more comfortable in my own skin is worth its weight in gold.  I'm glad your pcp was responsive to your needs.  Deep breaths, one day at a time.

Linda

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Laurie Parker
on 6/5/11 7:20 am - OR
Thanks for all the great info and support ladies. I am so ready to have this over, and start this new chapter. The anxiety is subsiding a bit and I'm trying to think positive and get through this.

Laurie
Laurie Parker
[email protected]

oblack1994
on 6/14/11 2:25 pm - vancouver, WA
Laurie I am having the same problem, I go back and forth too. I have heard it's normal and it will pass. I think we are just afraid of change. Hang in there!
OneFinger
on 6/16/11 5:06 am
I think it very normal to question a major decision like this. But, I'm not 9 months post-op and have hit my goal weight.

Believe me, the post-op period isn't that bad. My eating habits were horrible before surgery. A lot of "heavy" food (meat, potatoes and gravy), deserts, sweets, sticky buns, etc. I had to do a 2 week liquid diet after surgery and slowly introduct "soft" foods.

I am amazed at how well my body and mind have adjusted. I'm mostly eating salads now and loving it. I do meat sparingly and very rarely will have a small deseret.

Anxiety is normal. But, your body and mind CAN adjust to the new lifestyle. Best of luck and keep us updated on your surgery.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
Recent Topics