Qualifications - plastic surgery qualifactions

scorer14
on 11/13/11 5:50 am - Peterborough, On, Canada

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone who has had a panni down could provide some quick answers on qualifcations for OHIP approval.  I know I should qualify for a breast lift as I have neck and shoulders due to my breast. My question is how many rashes do you need to be documented before getting approval?  I seem to be getting quite a few lately, have had 2-3 in the last month, my doctor knows about the last 2.  They are very sore and would like to treat them before getting bad, but I will suffer through more if it means OHIP will approve.  My panni just covers the genital area.  The rashes are preventing me from working out because they are so sore, smell and are very tender.  I do have a referral into the Scarborough Hospital with Dr. Nan

Thanks for any input
Cheryl

Cheryl

HW - 315, Optifast SW - 291, CW 173.4 Total Weight Loss 141.6  lbs

Nathalie_Can
on 11/13/11 10:20 am
I didn't even know you could get approved for breast lift....u sure aboubt that?

I can't wait to see what the others will say as I will definitely need a panni and many things...my arms are already hanging about 2 inches and I only lost half of what my personal goal is......lol
and my thighs...oh la la, I have to win the lottery.........lol

Hope you had a great weekend!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

ericaFG
on 11/13/11 11:02 am - Cambridge, Canada
OHIP DOES NOT approve breast lifts.  They do approve Breast Reductions.  I believe there is a requirement for you to have D cup or larger breasts and some issues with shoulder pain, rashes etc. etc.  My dr. did some measurements from shoulder to nipple too - not sure if that impacts approval.  They are supposed to take out a certain amount of tissue (and this gets sent to the pathologist to confirm) - so you will have smaller breasts after.

My understanding from talking to two different surgeons, you don't need a super long history of rashes or pictures or anything.  Your surgeon just needs to tell them that you've had rashes that need treatment.  My understanding is that there isn't anything specific about the length of hang etc.  I've seen people approved with VERY little hang - their issues were in the belly button area....

Dr. N is very familiar with what needs to be in place to get approval.  You will get some great answers from him specific to your body.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Mary A.
on 11/13/11 10:38 pm
Erica...I had my consult with my plastic surgeon (Dr. Sarah Wong) and I am ONLY a C cup size, she told me that in order to get a lift OHIP requires a decrease by one cup size.

as far as rashes go etc..that is NOT the only requirement..if you panni is hanging lower than I believe 7 inches..you could qualify for a panni removal without every havig a rash.

The best way is to go to the doctor and have them document all the rashes, the creams or prescriptions.

Once you have your consult with your plastic surgeon they will be better suited to give you he parameters of which they submit your request to OHIP. 

My PS also mentioned that previously she only had to give a written request/submission but now OHIP is requiring more and more patients to submit pictures of what they would like to have approved.

GOOD LUCK

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

scorer14
on 11/14/11 9:50 am - Peterborough, On, Canada
Thanks all for the input.  I meant to say breast reduction.  I have gone from a DD to a large C cup and I have neck and shoulder issues.  As for the panni, my family doctor knows about two rashes and I have another one know that I will call about and ask for a presciption as I don't want to suffer anymore.  Knowing that I should have enought for approval.  I have lost 145 pounds and have maintained that for 4 months know.  Would like to lose another 10 pounds but honestly I think I would lose at least five pounds with the panni and it is a challenge to work out the way I want.  Anyways thanks for the input and advice.

Cheryl

Cheryl

HW - 315, Optifast SW - 291, CW 173.4 Total Weight Loss 141.6  lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics