Do Doctors hears the words come out of their mouths?

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 6/16/08 2:49 am

When I was pre-op I had to go to a podiatrist for planters faciatis.  I was told that I needed custom insoles for $300.00.  I asked the doctor is they were adjustable since I was about to have gastric bypass surgery and the loss of weight would effect my shoe size.  He took one look at me and said that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  Who told you that your feet would change size?  He said its not possible to have your feet get smaller, anyone who tells you differently is "BS" ing you.

Well here I am at 27 mos. post op wearing a size 6 1/2 M - 7 M,

27 mos. ago it was an 8 1/2 WWW.

I don't have PF anymore, so I don't need new insoles, but come on.  Lets get real doc.  Did he honestly think a person could lose 250+ pounds and not have their feet get any smaller?

NOW WHO IS THE "BS" ER??

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

dit657
on 6/16/08 3:54 am - Boothwyn, PA
Some doc he was! I'm not nearly as far out as you or have lost as much but my feet have already changed - shoes I couldn't wear are too big now, and I don't have to go into EE's or WW's - I can go just regular Wide. Dr Boe and I exchanged some crazy doctor stories the last time I was there and he couldn't believe some of the things that doctors say to obese people. That's because when we're obese every problem we have is related to our weight - at least thats what they think, and they make us think that too. No wonder our self-esteem is nil pre-surgery. I had an ob-gyn take one look at me and tell me my period problems were because I was 'too fat' - yes, his words. He didn't even examine me! I had an orthopedic doctor tell me about my right knee that if I was 20 years younger he'd fix it - 20 years older he'd replace - he suggested I go home, lose weight and it would all be fine. Yeah, like THAT happened! Knee got worse - weight got worse because I couldn't do anything - everything snowballed until it was too late and I had to have them both replaced. Sometimes I really hate doctors...Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 6/16/08 4:26 am - Easton, PA
Go back to him with your shoes and say "I'm sorry - you were BS-ing me and here's the proof"  MORONS Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Shannon O.
on 6/16/08 4:51 am - Reading, PA
I have been in a 9.5 narrow since high school when I was a size 10/12... and everyone told me when I got pregnant my feet would get wider... nope... never happened... but can you believe my foot is even skinner... still a 9.5 but a narrow is too wide... ugh... and I have no fat on the bottom of my feet... and I have a 110 pounds to go till I reach goal... can you imgine what my silly feet are going to look like then lol...

But, I think my fave stupid doc story is when I was seeing an endo doc in royersford to treat my PCOS... I was sick for 3 straight months on the metforim (think that is how it is spelled) and I saw a heart doc, a GI doc, and my family doc about 20 times during that 3 months... after having an MRI, CAT scan, U/S, having to wear a heart monitor, etc... all the sickness, pain, etc... was from the drug and not my gall bladder, spleen etc... and was ordered by 4 different doctors to never take it again...

when I showed her all the test results, charts, files, and notes from the docs she said it didn't matter I had to take it... and then she said she was more than willing to help me get pregnant at 341 pounds... my lord she had to smoking crack... what a nut! But, she said I would NEVER EVER get pregnant without her help and the help of lots of drugs... I told her I wasn't stupid because I never wanted to get pregnant while being that over weight... well imagine my suprise a few years later when I found out I was pregnant (no help)... then found out I was 21.5 weeks along (PCOS= no periods so I didn't think anything of it and had no morning sickness etc...) and was having a girl...

Well last year my OBGYN met this evil hag of a doc and told her about me and told her off... my OBGYN is the sweetest, nicest, gentlest man ever... so I was dying when he told me this... what made this even better was I ran into her last Dec after my surgery... showed her Lorelei... and told her to kiss my big white butt... Ha didn't need her help at all crazy woman...

Some doctors are just plain stupid and make me wonder how in the world did they ever get their degrees etc... lol...

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 5:05 am, edited 6/16/08 5:05 am - Eastern, PA
I think to show him just how wrong he was, you should visit his office and give him repeated ninja kicks to the face and groin while screaming "What size is this shoe, b\tch?" That's how I would handle the situation.
Peggy W
on 6/16/08 6:30 am - Moscow, PA
Hi Everyone Don't get  me wrong my doc is great. but, I have had a cold for a couple of weeks and went to see him today. Well he asked me how tall I was and I said that I had been 5ft 3inch since high school but, my niece is 5.5 and we are the same height. He said that was impossible that you don't get taller after high school so he measured me and said you are 5.5. And since I have been going to him for almost 10yrs and they measured me then. I must have grown. He really is a wonderful doc he only charged me 25 dollars for the visit  which is normally 85 dollars as I don't have insurance or anything gave me 2 months supply of free asthma meds. He is just wonderful. He thought it was funny that he was wrong. He asked me if anything else changed like that and I said I used to wear a 9.5 shoe and now wear an 8.  Lotsa hugs Peggy
Peggy W
on 6/16/08 6:32 am - Moscow, PA

P.S. I also had plantars fastecious about 5 yrs ago and it was awful, He didn't give me special insoles or anything he just gave me exercises to go up and down the stairs, wrapped my foot in an ace bandage even at night and it did the trick. lotsa hugs Peg

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 6/16/08 8:22 am
The therapy didn't work for me, the cortizone shots made it worse.  The thing that I think did the trick was a cheap pair of arch support socks (come in a 3 pack from K-Mart) and better shoes. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

joldaker
on 6/16/08 9:52 am - West Bradford, PA
I would go visit him with your new shoes and laugh at him.  Just because they are doctors doesnt mean they know much. LOL Jen
Highest Wt 299.8 / Surg Wt 285 / Curr Wt 157
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1792 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1887 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2567 views