Transfer Addiction Forum

Patricia R.
on 3/1/11 6:24 am - Perry, MI
I just learned about this Forum today.  If you find you are drinking more than you did before your surgery, you may have a transfer addiction.  Come join us to discuss this, and other issues related to food addiction as well.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

lynnc99
on 3/1/11 11:55 am
Just this week saw a post in another forum from a woman who became an alcoholic post rny....and a second who became addicted to painkillers. Very scary stuff. Both described it as happening VERY fast and becoming VERY serious.
Patricia R.
on 3/1/11 12:24 pm - Perry, MI

Thanks Lynn.  My relapse was worse than ever, after RNY.  I got drunk on one drink, and found I was able to consume a huge amount of wine when I was in relapse.

I had a harder time kicking it with just AA this last time.  I needed professional help, and ended up needing to sign myself into the psych ward, and from there, I went to the rehab.  All in all, I was inpatient somewhere for 19 days.  Thank God I stopped, and have not had a drink since. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jastypes
on 3/2/11 12:57 am - Croydon, PA
At some point while I was drinking, I bought a breathalyzer.  I found that after one glass of wine, I was TWICE the legal limit.  How scary is that?  Alcoholism after rny took me down fast and hard.  Within 3 months of drinking, I knew I had a problem.  It took a couple of years trying various things to finally take AA seriously and stop drinking.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Nicole0216
on 3/1/11 7:19 pm - Lancaster, PA
Thanks for posting cross addiction is pretty bad for RNY. Believe it or not we have at least 4 post ops in our program that became heroin addicts
Patricia R.
on 3/1/11 9:19 pm - Perry, MI
Thanks Nicole.  I believe you about your clients.  The month before I was admitted to the psych ward, I was abusing Vicodin, prescribed for pain, and washing it down with alcohol.  It was not pretty.

Hugs,
Trish
Albert Schweitzer

jastypes
on 3/1/11 9:50 pm - Croydon, PA
Thank you for posting the link, Trish.  I am co-leader of the Transfer Addiction Forum and post there pretty regularly.  I know we have several lurkers, but not a lot of posting.  It's a sensitive subject, but one that should never be ignored.  I developed alcoholism after surgery.  It took me two years to get 90 days sober. Now I have 9 months.  Transfer addiction is the story of my life, and now I am once again working on my food sobriety.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Patricia R.
on 3/2/11 12:55 am - Perry, MI
Hi Jill,
I understand that transfer addiction is a sensitive subject.  Having spent 21 years in AA, and many of them also in OA, I like to think of the addiction being to anything, unless I have a program of recovery.  When I first got sober in AA, 20 years ago, I gained 100 pounds in the next twenty years.  Even in OA, I could not get that aspect of the program.

Without understanding what was at the root of my behavior, and having done the 12 steps, I am hopeless of ever overcoming my food or alcohol addictions. 

I gave up six years of sobriety after my surgery.  I was not working my program, and had never done the 12 steps completely. 

I hope this helps someone who is confused and needs information on transfer addictions.
Albert Schweitzer

KimmyToo
on 1/17/17 7:56 am

I could really use some help, support, advice, whatever on transfer addiction.  I have only recently realized how bad I have gotten with drinking.

Kathy S.
on 1/17/17 8:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi KimmyToo,

This thread is years old and no one is going to see your post for help.  We have had many members that have went through what you are.  Here is a link to some articles we have.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/?s=transfer+addiction

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/?s=alcohol

Also please post this on our main forum http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/

There are several members that have posted they are struggling and or conquered this issue.

Good Luck to you and stay in touch!

Regards,

Kathy

ObesityHelp

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1794 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1889 views