Anniversary

Laura C.
on 3/23/11 6:00 am - Pittsburgh, PA

Today is my 1 year surgery anniversary.  I've only lost 90 lbs.  I had 3 months where I had a stricture but the doc didn't think so.  Ultimately begged for and got 2 upper endoscopies with a balloon procedure to open it up a bit.  It was so bad, I was even throwing up water.  So, lost 3 months in basically starvation mode.  Started losing after the endoscopy.  I need at least another 55 lbs. weight loss.  I'd like to be another 20 more than that, though.

It's been a very rough road.  I am a pretty complicated med case of multiple auto-immune stuff and I think we all learned something from this process.  Also found out I have Type 1 Diabetes instead of Type 2.  That was a shocker and I even had a second opinion from Joslin.

At any rate, thank you to everyone here who helped along the way.

lynnc99
on 3/23/11 6:16 am
Laura, congratulations on one year and 90 lbs! And a friendly nudge - don't you dare say "only" 90 pounds!!!!

Sounds like you have had some difficult moments along the way, but be sure to give yourself credit for all you have accomplished! I firmly believe that there is no "magic" deadline to lose all our weight in one year - I am 20 months out and would still like to lose a bit more....you are doing great!
Sara E.
on 3/23/11 6:23 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA

Laura,

First of all....congratulations on your 1st Surgiversary!  You have done fantastic!
Secondly....shame on you...only 90 pounds.
You should shout loud & proud that you lost 90 pounds....whoo-hoo!
That is 90 pounds closer to goal and 90 pounds less than last year.
You have undoubtedly worked very hard to drop that kind of weight.
Keep up the great work and the rest will join the 90.

Sara

IdaMae D.
on 3/23/11 9:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations on your first year!!!!!

IdaMae

Nicole0216
on 3/23/11 8:44 pm - Lancaster, PA
congratulations on your anniversary
Lisa H.
on 3/23/11 9:37 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Happy Surgiversary Laura. 

Sorry you had a rough year.  I hope that things continue to improve as you continue to work your tool.

My tracker

hers 

Rebecca_B
on 3/24/11 4:17 am - Arnold, PA

Happy Surgiversary!  You had some bumps, but you still made a lot of progress!  Learning to manage some work-arounds was not easy, but you are getting there!!

Every pound gone is an achievement and one I will cheer with you.  My one year is tomorrow - we have come a long way in one year!!

Keep on keepin' on...and remember that we all support you 100%.

Rebecca

We are perfect examples of imperfection.   So we ARE perfect!!  

Laura C.
on 3/24/11 11:50 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Happy 1st anniversary to Rebecca.  She did much better at I think 112 or more pounds.  Thank you for taking this journey with me, Rebecca, and for being so supportive.  You are a wonderful person.
Boogaloo
on 3/25/11 2:38 am - PA

I only come on this site every so often (shame on me) because I am five years post op, and like most things, I take it for granted, I don't mean to but I do.  I tell you that to answer the question you might be asking, "who the he!! is this lady telling me what to do"  :)

Anyways. ONLY 90LBS!?!?!?!?!?  That is amazing and you are amazing for working so hard towards your goals with so many bumps along the way.  I also made the mistake of comparing myself to others who lost much more than I did the first year.  I "only" lost 99 lbs and I was so disappointed.  But.... this is the never-ending journey.  I eventually lost 120lbs post surgery (138 total) and I have kept it off for five years.  And lifestyle change, recognizing your surgery as a tool and not a solution - that's the trick.

You have shown remarkable determination and that is what you need for the long haul!  Congratulations on you success so far.  Congratulations on surgiversary and many more to come!
Lou

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 8:37 am - Poconos, PA
RNY on 03/12/03 with
I've been gone a while so I'm not sure if we've "met" or not but I still wanted to send you a CONGRATS!! Try not to think of it as "only" 90 lbs though. That's quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud. Keep doing what you are and you WILL reach your goal.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1780 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1872 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2556 views