so scared of failure?

Nicole S.
on 6/6/11 3:03 am - York Haven, PA
I'm sitting here today and it is finally sinking in.....I am gonna to have surgery in 24 days.....holy crap!!!!!   I am so scared of failing.  If you havent read my page...I had lapband in may of 08 and had it removed in sept of 08.  While I had it I followed everything to a tee.  I lost almost 60 pounds in 3 months.  I got my first adjustment and it went downhill from there....was too tight so I had some taken out, but ended up with horrible reflux and vomitting and was admitted to hospital for dehydration.....they went in on monday nite to reposition my stomach...it had slipped...but did not get it all...so was still in horrible pain and have to wait all day tues for them to do numerous swallow test...finally a egd done and when original surgeon said he was going in I said just take it out....so i had 2 surgeries in less than 24 hours and had it removed.....

Here it is 3 years later and I am back up to my pre-op weight and I am miserable.  Kids are getting bigger and require more from me and I am just ready to live again!!

But in the back of my mind is my failure with the lapband....does anybody have any advice that they have stuck with and have been successful?

I know I can follow the instructions of my surgeon but I and just scared.....sorry so long :(

Surgery 355  / Current 246 / Goal 199.9

bvohl
on 6/6/11 3:22 am
Nicole,

Ok, first of all, you are taking the right step going back to have surgery. There are many people who do NOT succeed with lap band, but there a few who do. Are you having RNY? If you are you will notice a distinct difference. When I first was considering bariatric surgery, I thought lap band would be right for me. After my consultation with my surgeon, she strongly advised against the lap band and for the RNY. I am so glad I took her advice!! I just celebrated my two year surgeriversary, I am about 130lbs down, went from a size 5/6x to an 18/20. Still have more weight to lose but I have gotten some perspective on that.

Try and think of this as a positive step in the process. The surgery is not the be all and end all. It is just a tool! I think the key to success is SUPPORT and following the doctors advice. I don't know where you live but finding a GOOD support group I have found to be so important in keeping your head on straight!!

I wish you luck on your journey! Keep us updated!!

Best wishes, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Nicole S.
on 6/6/11 3:33 am - York Haven, PA
Thanks Beth.....I am having RNY.  I live half way between Harrisburg and York.  My doctor's office has a monthly support meeting and I will be attending those.

Congrats on your weight loss!!

Will keep ya updated...it's all surreal to think that by next month this time I will be on the loser's bench!! :)

bvohl
on 6/6/11 6:42 am
You will do GREAT!!! Think positively!!

We will make room on the loser's bench for you!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 6/6/11 9:03 am
Nicole, I live in Lancaster County, so not too far from you!

I also had RNY (same dr. as Beth) and have been very pleased with the results. No sickness, no complications at all. Even the very first few days after surgery, the recovery was better than I would have expected.

Fear of failure is deeply ingrained in all of us. How many times have we failed at dieting/losing weight? More than any of us can count. Sometimes the fear can be almost paralyzing. We fear the surgery itself. We fear that it will work for everyone else....but not us. We lose weight and fear regain.

For me the resolution to the fear is information. Learn all you can about RNY, the recovery, the dietary guidelines, the vitamins you need, and so on. Keep learning as the pounds come off by going to support group, as you plan to do. Check in on the forum daily - it's a kind of accountability even if your posts have "nothing to do" with weight loss on any particular day. We are a community and know that we are working it all out as long as we are present and visible here. Embrace physical exercise and look at options to get your body moving again. Exercise and support are keys to long term success.

Feel free to keep in touch - you may e mail me if you like at [email protected].
Nicole S.
on 6/6/11 12:13 pm - York Haven, PA
Thanks everyone!! Will continue to read the boards!! :)

JinPA
on 6/14/11 6:26 am - PA
I was 290 at my pre op testing, 280 at surgery and am maintaining at 165 5 years later.  I just do what I need to do.  It is about change.  I can't say that I never cheat, but I get on the scale every day.  I believe that has been the key to me, to always be aware of my weight.  If it starts to go up, I get on it immediately.  I also did not get too thin.  I am 5'11" and this weight works for me.  I have a normal BMI, and that is my main concern.

You can do it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1803 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1901 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2582 views