Last minute questions :)

Nicole S.
on 6/21/11 11:57 pm - York Haven, PA
Surgery date is approaching quickly and I am so excited and scared at the same time!!

I have a question.....I have heard alot about Unjury Protein Powder.....is this stuff good and where can I get it?

And as for vitamins...what do you take. My doc has their own brand but are kinda pricey.....just curious

Thanks so much!! :)

Surgery 355  / Current 246 / Goal 199.9

dit657
on 6/22/11 12:19 am - Boothwyn, PA
Congratulations on your pending surgery!! And you're perfectly normal - we were all scared and excited - it's a huge step in our efforts to become healthier - remember to take it one day at a time. AARP magazine (yes, I'm THAT old) just did a big article on the benefits of WLS.

I have never tried the Unjury but a lot of people like it - however, I wouldn't go out and stock up on any one particular type or flavor right now - you can't imagine how much your taste is going to change post-op - things you loved pre-op are going to turn your stomach post-op - at least for a while. As your bariatric surgeon if they have small sizes available, or go on line and see if you can order sample sizes to try them once you've had your surgery.

Vitamins are tough right away because most of them are too big to take, so chewable vitamins (or liquid ) are they way to go - jus****ch out for high sugar content in both - something you definitely want to avoid. I take a generic multi-vitamin daily, a 2500 mg sublingual B12, and a calcium supplement 3 times a week (I recently cut back on that because it was giving me potty issues ). Ask your surgeon or nutrition what they suggest. Right after surgery you won't be able to get all of your daily required proteins in, or your vitamins, but do the best you can. Water is key so SIP SIP SIP and WALK WALK WALK - walking relieves the gas from the surgery and trust me, you want that relief because that can be painful.

Wish you all the best!! It'll be here and over before you know it!!

Kathy

ps: As evidenced by my post there is no subject too taboo for us to discuss on here!! LOL!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Sara E.
on 6/22/11 1:12 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I love slimfast low carb.  I take 2 flintstones with iron and 2 calcet lemon creamy bites (with VitD) a day.  That is what Geisinger recommends.

Sara

lynnc99
on 6/22/11 1:30 am
I keep my vitamin regimen simple, and according to my doc's recommendations. I get most of my vitamins at WalMart, CVS, or Walgreens depending on sales so the cost is actually very reasonable.

Centrum chewables - 2 a day (and Walgreens has a $4 off coupon this week!)
B1 - once daily
B12 sublingual - once daily
Biotin - which I took at first for my hair regrowth, but keep taking because it strengthens my nails! - 1 daily
Citrical Petites - 6 per day in 3 doses. I also use the Bariatric Advantage chewable calcium lozenges (like cinnamon best) because you only need 3 of these.

There is a lot of controversy on the RNY board about using Flintstones brand vitamins - but do what your doctor recommends and read labels!

jastypes
on 6/22/11 2:52 am - Croydon, PA
Funny.  I'm a Flintstones Complete Chewables person myself.  I take 2 a day, plus the B1 and B12.  I take Calcium when I remember, but I usually get the ones that come in caramel or chocolate, and I don't know if they are the right kind of calcium, but I've never had a problem with my blood work, other than borderline low Vitamin D which my doctor doesn't treat at the moment.  I just get out in the sun as much as possible.

I gave up protein shakes a while after surgery, and can't remember what specific brand I bought in the beginning, although I think I got them from Barix.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

lynnc99
on 6/22/11 4:58 am
Hey, I'm not going to argue with anyone's surgeon, or with what works for someone else! The RNY board issues are related to whether kids' dosages of vitamins (even 2 or 3 or 4 a day) are adequate for RNY needs, and most recently whether ANY gummies are usable forms of vitamins for us. Of course, there are often differences of opinion on the "big" forums based on various doc's recommendations and various posters' research.

I have held on to the shakes for convenience's sake, and because it jump starts my protein every day. Also, I was always a big cereal eater and of course am not there any more - but eggs don't always sit well in the morning.
victoria3
on 6/22/11 4:34 am - Douglassville, PA
I use Unjury Unflavored Protein Powder every morning in my coffee. It's the only powder that I can tolerate. Go to www.unjury.com    -you can order sample packs (which I suggest) since your taste will definitely change after surgery and why waste your money on something you might not like.  The only thing that I would advise about their powder is that you don't put it in something hot (over 140 degrees), it will curdle , I let my coffee cool a bit then I add it.  

R K.
on 6/22/11 5:38 am
I trusted my surgeon to rearrange my insides and I trust his advice on vitamins and minerals. I started out using Bariatric Advantage and now use Bariatric Fusion. The first year they did blood every 6 months and annually since. My numbers are all perfect. 6 tubes of blood each time.

My brother did the Flintstones and stuff. His calcium was way down and he gives himself B12 shots.

I buy online. No cheaper then my doctor but saves a trip from the Poconos to Allentown.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
sandy L.
on 6/22/11 9:12 am - Altoona, PA
 Roger is the a sample pack or is it a month's worth at a time you get.  I'm having the same issue as your brother.  I think mine is 22 right now.  Thanks Sandy

R K.
on 6/22/11 10:20 am
Right now I get 3 months of Bariatric Fusion 75 bucks free shipping
I use their all in one you chew 4 times a day
http://bariatricfusion.com/store/home.php

The Bariatric Advantage last time I got here
This one I get the chewable chocolate calcium, chewable multi and the sublingual B12.
http://www.dietdirect.com/bariatric-advantage-vitamins-116.h tml

Every three months I see who has the best deal.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1803 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1901 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2582 views