very confused.....please help!!

Nicole S.
on 7/10/11 10:21 pm - York Haven, PA
Ok guys....first dont yell at me.....I had surgery on the 30th and yes I have been on the scale every morning since I came home from the hospital.  I have followed the diet to a tee getting in at the least 60 grams of protein a day.....I am on full liquids till wed and then start mushies.  Well things have been moving great and on sat morning i was at 336....well yesterday i was at 339 and then there again this morning.   any suggestions?  do you plateau this early out?  just confused and scared of failure once again!   thanks for listening to me rant and I have vowed not to get back on the scale once a week!!!

Surgery 355  / Current 246 / Goal 199.9

dit657
on 7/10/11 10:29 pm - Boothwyn, PA
We never really yell out here - but yes, step away from the scale for a while. It can be your best friend and your worst enemy, depending on the day.

At this soon out you have not hit a plateau - your body is still adjusting to the surgery, the lack of food, your changed eating habits. Our bodies go into a 'reserve' mode following surgery because they think we're starving, so they start holding onto the calories we consume - our bodies are pretty amazing. But trust me, those few pounds will fall off quickly once your body realizes you're not really starving, and more weight is going to come off quickly.

Will you plateau? Absolutely - but not for a while. but let's face it, you can't lose weight forever or you'd disappear!

I know a lot of people are scale-addicted - it's hard not to be because it's so exciting to see the numbers moving down instead of up for a change, but try to trust your body for a while instead of the scale - notice the difference in your clothing - in the way you're feeling - your breathing - your energy level. Those things are critical in this process as well. And if you haven't taken your measurements do yourself a favor and take them now - I regret that I never took my measurements pre-op because I lost a whole lot of inches even when I wasn't losing pounds.

So relax - don't panic - it's not a plateau - and it will come right back off.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bvohl
on 7/10/11 10:32 pm
HIDE THAT SCALE!!!! You will drive yourself crazy! I did that early out and realized that it messed with my head!  Do what you need to do! Protein, fluid, move....it will come off just not in one day!!!

Hope this helps!!
Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Laureen S.
on 7/11/11 1:19 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Stalls happen, probably not really in a stall this early out, but you're best friend right now is how your clothes fit, taking measurements once monthly (as very often the scale lies during this stage of the journey) and pictures monthly also help you see the progress. . .    I had my roommate hide the scale from me because it was driving me crazy. . .  keep doing what you are doing the weight will come off

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Dennis Belk
on 7/11/11 2:49 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Nicole,

Listen to the ladies. Follow your program. Stick to the RULES and you will LOSE. This regimen  WILL serve you WELL. PLEASE be PATIENT. Take it ONE day at a TIME. 

You're gonna do GREAT!

Dennis

(The CAPS in the above message were for EMPHASIS, not to yell
Jayne
on 7/13/11 4:36 am - Swiftwater, PA
Back away from the scale.......  Look for reinforcement in other areas -- I chose to monitor blood sugars (somethign I was instucted to do by my doctors)  and track steps per day.  As I lost weight, the blood sugars went down and medications went away.  As I lost weight, I walked more and more and more.

Find a pair of slacks that were once tight and enjoy how loose they become.....
Looks for silly AHA moments... like when you can cross your legs, when you can get out of hte bathtub easily (once a HUGE problem for me), when you can touch your toes......

Stick with the program and things will be just fine.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1800 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1893 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2572 views