Recommendations wanted

proudmama13
on 10/15/11 12:49 pm - Bristol, PA
Hi all,

I have just started looking into WLS, and I have a few questions. 

1.  Can anyone recommend a doctor and tell me what you liked about that person?  I had a consult with Dr. Medvetz at Barix.  I have a consult scheduled with Dr. Beekley at Jefferson.  I am also planning to go to the seminars for Einstein and Abington. ( It was suggested to me to go to a few consults and pick a doctor based on my gut feeling, but right now I am feeling overwhelmed by all of the choices.)

2. Also I am thinking that I want the band, but Dr. M. said she thinks RNY is more my speed.  However the RNY frightens me a bit because it seems so drastic.  However I think I may be able to eat my way around the band.  So how do you choose your surgery?  I want to be sure that I pick the right surgery for me from the start. 

3.  Finally, anyone have experience with IBX Personal Choice 20?  Just wondering if anyone knows of their requirements for WLS and how difficutl it is to get approval.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Selena
bvohl
on 10/15/11 8:30 pm
Selena,

Welcome to the PA Board!!

I had my RNY 2 years ago at Barix and I cannot say enough good things about it!! My surgeon is no longer there, but Dr. Medvetz is very good. Also, Dr. Marymor is also very good! I like Barix because Bariatric surgery is the bulk of what they do. One of my friends had DS at Abington and I didn't like the way she was treated. She did not get the kind of care that I received at Barix. She is doing very well, but I still recommend Barix!

When I first started thinking of bariatric surgery, I also thought of having the band. After going to the consultation and speaking with the surgeon I realized that RNY was the way to go for me. With the band you have to have ALOT more self control and the weight loss is ALOT slower. Having RNY is not as drastic as it used to be especially since it can be done laparscopically.

I don't have any experience with that insurance but I will tell you they will try at every turn to make it difficult to get approved. Stick to your guns!!!

Good luck!!
Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Patricia R.
on 10/15/11 9:32 pm - Perry, MI
 Hi Selena,
I also live in Bristol, near Mill Street.

I could not be more pleased with my RNY done by Dr. Marymor at Barix.  I am five years out and happy as a clam,  I had no complications, even though he did mine
 as an open procedure back then,

I hope you will consider RNY at Barix,  There are many Barix Babies that visit the PA Forum.  Not to metnition how blessed we hafe been,''

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Talmani
on 10/15/11 10:29 pm - Phoenixville, PA
Selena - I have decided on Abington. I looked there and at Bryn Mwr Hosp. I did not look at the ones downtown, I wanted a program that I would be able to get to the support groups.

I really like Dr Noonan there. I needed to feel comfortable with the people and the program.

There are other options than the band and RNY. At Abington said that they take out more bands than they are putting in. You should take a look at the surgical forum for more info.

I am set on a VSG. Good luck with your journey.
Laureen S.
on 10/15/11 10:38 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Highly recommend Barix, the care there is excellent and we have regular support groups that meet 3x a month.

Best wishes and by all means check your options, as I did the same thing.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 10/15/11 10:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Selena;
Welcome to the PA Boards. 

I had my surgery at Jeanes Bariatric program.  The care I received was top notch, my doctor was amazing.  I can absolutely say that I am alive today because of the two surgeons I had that day two years ago in the OR. 

I had RnY based on all the co-morbidities I had.  My diabetes was off the charts and I knew that RnY was the way to go if I wanted any chance of getting that under control.  I've been diabetes medication free for 2 yrs 1 month now.

My husband had his surgery 6 yrs ago at Temple's Bariatric program.  Again excellent care, excellent physicians, excellent nursing staff.

As far as the support groups go, I'm not that impressed with Temple or Jeanes.  I do prefer Barix for support groups. 

As far as your insurance goes:  I have Keystone East which is IBX and had not problems with approval.  You can go to IBX website to look up their requirements for the Personal Choice 20 or you can call member services the number is located on the back of your card and ask them your specific questions. 

Take care,
Ida

IdaMae

apple60
on 10/15/11 11:00 pm - schwenksville, PA
 Hi Salena,
    I had my surgery at Abington and I had Dr. Bonanni in November 3 years ago and was very pleased. I was 60 years old and went through it with flying colors. I had RNY and I'm not sorry I had it done. Dr. Bonnani is very sweet. He really takes the time to relate to you. I had personal choice and they paid everything. Good luck and you won't be sorry if you go to Abington. 
                hope you make the right decision
                    Linda

kreavis1979
on 10/16/11 12:42 am - PA
Selena -

First of all, congratulations on taking control of your life and weight by taking this step to look into surgery. I had my RNY surgery at Barix in April 2008 and have been completely happy with all of the care there. From support groups, to nutritionists, to nurses and surgeons everyone is there to help out.
The decision on which surgery to have is really up to you and based on your other health conditions. I am hoping to be at the Nov. 5th suppot group meeting, but I am scheduled for a c section on Nov 1st. My baby girl is just one of the major blessings I feel like I have taken away from my RNY. You won't be dissappoited by coming out and meeting some of the people who have had their surgery at Barix. Feel free to ask away, this may be the biggest and best decision you make.
Blessings to you,
Katie

proudmama13
on 10/16/11 1:41 am - Bristol, PA
Thank you to everyone for responding!  Your positive experiences have eased my mind a bit about surgery...now if I can just get my loved ones on board.  I really appreciate the time you all took to post replies.  I will continue to read and post on the boards.  I look forward to getting to know all of you on my journey...

Love and big hugs to all of you,
Selena
jastypes
on 10/17/11 3:59 am - Croydon, PA
Welcome!  I'm your neighbor in Croydon.  PM me if you ever want to meet in person to talk about the surgery.  I also highly recommend Barix, not just for their fantastic surgeons, but also for their top notch nutrionists, support groups and nursing staff. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1792 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1887 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2567 views