PreOp ?s about recovery

Talmani
on 11/21/11 8:31 pm - Phoenixville, PA
I am scheduled for surgery in a week! I have started my prep op diet and am staring to worry worry worry. I am not afraid of surgery but am very nervous about the recovery period after surgery before I get to go home. I talked the the nurse practitioner about pain management and she said that it should not be a problem. I am also worried about getting up and moving around with a catheter.

So I have a few questions- how was your recovery? What can I do to make it go smoothly? And did anyone have someone with them to be there patient advocate?

Thanks for any input!

Nicole
proudmama13
on 11/21/11 8:48 pm - Bristol, PA

Hi Nicole!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH! That is so exciting:)  I'm two weeks after you, so I don't have any insight.  But I did want to say how excited I am for you and that I will be keeping you in my prayers for a smooth, speedy recovery.

Lotsa love,
Selena

Talmani
on 11/22/11 4:17 am - Phoenixville, PA
Thanks Selena - I am happy to see that you have a date too! I am super excited but nervous too ABG being in the hospital.
Jackie Fisher
on 11/21/11 8:56 pm - PA

Hi Nicole..

You're almost there!! And have no fear, all of the worry that you are feeling is completely normal. I know, trust me!! I just had my surgery 15 days ago and let me tell you, I am so impressed by how quickly and smoothly the recovery has gone so far.

Your first step starts as soon as you wake up from the surgery. You will be asked to sip, sip, sip, walk and breathe!! These are your main objectives. Oh and the catheter..this was my biggest fear, but not for nothing..you don't even know its there!! You are just peeing away with no care in the world. Then when they take it out, it doesn't even hurt!!!

After you go home, the best advice I can give you is to do exactly what the doctors tell you to do. You have to continue to walk and use your spirometer. Also, make sure you follow your diet exactly as your surgeon tells you.

I could not be more happy with the recovery and I had open RNY. I have been feeling great now for almost a week. The worst part is the first week when your emotions play havoc on you. You will question why you did this to yourself and you will cry for no reason..it's okay though..you will get through it. Here I am 2 weeks out and I feel FANTASTIC!! and you will too!! So, my best bit of advice to ensure your speedy recovery is to just follow all instructions you are given, take it easy, and you will do just fine!!

Any specific questions, feel free to contact me

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!
Jackie

"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Talmani
on 11/22/11 4:19 am - Phoenixville, PA
Thanks Jackie! I don't know why but the catheter freaks me out. I am glad is was a non- issue for you.
Maura M.
on 11/22/11 10:41 am - Yardley, PA
Jackie described it perfectly!  Have no fear!  There will be discomfort, but it is temporary and you will start to see results right away (just look at Jackie's ticker.. 62 lost already!!!)

Be at peace!  Looking to hear updates from you about how you are doing!

Maura
Maura

sharon T.
on 11/27/11 4:18 am - PA

Hi nicole,
I am so excited  that your surgery is in two weeks!You are on your way to a new and exciting chapter in your life! I do not have a date yet but I am looking forward to having RNY too!  Don't be afraid .Have faith in your surgeon.Speak to him about your fears.Best of luck.You are in my prayers.Look forward in seeing less of yourself.You are on your way.

Anxious to hear about your success.

Sharon T
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1792 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1887 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2567 views