Thank you and finally I meet my hero

jdruski
on 12/8/11 6:37 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello PA

I attended my first Barix meeting on Saturday.   Boy I wish that I had done this 5 years ago.  Thanks to you all, I was so inspired and so much want to get back on my journey.  I finally got to meet Laureen and Jill who I have known through this board for years.  But my biggest thrill was to meet my hero, Nan.  She has been the biggest inspiration to me.  I have decided that from here forward when I have a indecisive moment in my journey that I am going to ask myself WWND (what would Nan do?).

Saturday was a very emotional day for me.  Besides struggling to get back on track and getting prepared for knee replacement surgery as well as the normal Christmas time duties and a new database being brought into my job there is a very special young woman in my life who is struggling with mental illness and drug addiction.  My family is going through hell and needless to say I am emotionallly and physically drained that cooking and eating healthy is the last thing that I want to think about.  I am also the kind of person who will go a few days with just drinking water and coffee and not eat of course my body goes straight into survial mode and my first meal is usually consumed while I am making my meal. 

So I am starting my journey all over.  I know I will lose at least 20 lbs. before my surgery in January and I am so hoping that the strict structure of the hospital and rehab will help with additional dropping.  Being able to move around even if it is still limited will be such a blessing from God. 

I thank all who were at the meeting.  Nan, you are the bomb.  Laureen your words about the job hit home for me,  I thank you extra for that.  Jill, enjoy your vacate, You bringing up the topic of having to be the "entertainer" and always being on helped me see that I am not the only one that feels like that.  I can just come out and sit back and relax.  I don't have to work so hard at life.

I look forward to seeing you all again, if not at the evening meeting then the first Saturday in January.

Thanks to you all, Merry Christimas to those who celebrate, Happy Holidays and New Year to all

Finally I think I have a chance at seeing how "thin feels".

Jeanne
jojomoe523
on 12/8/11 10:33 pm - PA
Jeanne,

I am so sorry that I wasn't at the meeting to get the chance to meet you! Unfortunately I had to work. I have to tell you that going to the meetings at Barix was probably the best choice I made for myself after having my surgery. They are all so wonderful over there and make you feel so welcome. The best part about that is that they are all genuine and really do welcome you!

I am so glad that you are getting yourself back on track. Good for you!

Good luck with your journey,

Joanne

Laureen S.
on 12/8/11 10:58 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jeanne,

It was wonderful to finally meet you, as I remember how encouraging you were to me in my early days and months of my own personal journey, when I struggled and fretted over losing my weight, so this is truly a case of what goes around, comes around. . .and for me, the people who come to the support groups and/or participate regularly on OH, are all my heroes because without one another I know I would not be where I am today; for Shauna and Dennis, who were the leaders of the support group back when I began, for Heather who opened her home up in Harleyville for support groups, they were the gatekeepers and people I looked up to, and so the torch continues to burn within the desire to be supportive to those who still want and crave the support that is offered within our group of leaders now.   Nan is definitely a role model of what can be accomplished through dedication to doing what must be done and sharing with others how it can be done, so I'm glad she is someone you can look to to give you strength as you persevere on your own road towards healthier life and living dreams that have yet to be realized.  You are the master of your destiny and we are one anothers strength and guideposts when we take the detours that often are a part of this journey of ours.

Thanks for coming and I look forward to seeing more of you and my offer to pick you up when and if you need a ride is still there.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 12/11/11 9:36 am - Croydon, PA
{{{Jeanne}}} It was wonderful to meet you at the meeting.  You have taken a tremendous step in the right direction.  I'm so proud of you for showing up and sharing yourself with the group.  I agree that Nan is a phenomenal inspiration to all of us.  We can all learn something from her and the ways she works with her tools. 

My vacation was fabulous, as everyone but me knew it would be.  I'll post more about it later.

Looking forward to next month's support group meeting and hearing about your progress!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1777 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1870 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2553 views