More new on alcohol and Gastric Bypass

Nicole0216
on 6/19/12 10:52 pm - Lancaster, PA
Ok I am not beating a dead horse just trying to provide information that was not provided to us. It hit a nerve with someone on my facebook page who I know for a fact is very attached to her Margaritas. And gave a lame argument about the fact that she got fat because of insulin not because of addictive behaviors, which would make me wonder why the hell they drink then if they have insulin issues but I digress. Denial and justification are funny creatures. I am not on a soap box. I am not abstinent from alcohol myself yet. But I have greatly reduced the amount I drink the atmosphere in which I drink and the people around me have changed so it is not part of what we do anymore, so it makes it much easier. This makes me feel better.  The point of this is to share information, allow people to make informed decisions and to consider for a moment that it could be a problem.  And No I don't believe the surgery causes alcoholism it is part of the equation.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/gastric-bypass-fuel-al coholism-16600168
jastypes
on 6/20/12 12:04 am - Croydon, PA
Denial and justification.  Been there, done that, and it only works for a time.  People who are developing (or have developed) a dependence on alcohol will do or say whatever they can to not give up their drug -- at least until they hit their bottom.  At least that has been my experience and observation.

I have to say that I have always agreed that surgery is part of the equation, but on the other hand the more I read about this subject and consider my own cir****tances, the more I know, without a doubt, that I would NOT have developed alcoholism had I not had gastric bypass surgery.  It was absolutely the catalyst.

Again, I have people in my every day life who are still struggling with getting and staying sober after weight loss surgery.  My heart breaks for them every time I hear about their slips/relapses.  I wish I could give away what I have found to anyone still struggling.  I would not change a thing about my path, and I am grateful every single day of my life for my weight loss surgery and my sobriety. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jastypes
on 6/20/12 12:06 am - Croydon, PA
Oh, and by the way, this is not a dead horse.  It's alive and kicking!  Please feel free to cross post this information to the crossing to transfer addiction boards.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/discussion/

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

lynnc99
on 6/20/12 1:40 am
 Nic, I don't think this is a dead horse at all. 

The simple fact that in our little slice of the universe, we know personally of those who are affected by alcohol abuse post op makes it VERY relevant. 

For me, I am a non drinker - but grew up with alcoholism and assorted other dysfunctions - so I am very sensitive to this topic and have a keen interest in it. 
IdaMae D.
on 6/20/12 9:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
I appreciate your sharing this information. 

When Gene had his surgery, his surgeon told him under no cir****tances was alcohol acceptable and to never touch it after his surgery.  That was in 2005 prior to his Jan 2006 surgery.  Not a big deal mainly because neither Gene nor I drink.  When I started the process for my own surgery, I went to the same practice, different surgeon, again I was told absolutely no alcohol after my surgery and to be aware that after surgery there might be the possibility of becoming an alcholic if I did decide to drink.  As I was told many who lose the weight start to drink when they become thin, it's something they might or might not have done when heavy.

For me alcohol does not metabolize in my body.  I can't even use vanilla extract with alcohol in a protein shake without feeling horrible.  I could not drink when I was young either. 

Gene and I had a very good friend who had the surgery probably 10 years ago.  He did well until he picked up booze and drugs again (prior to surgery he abused both), the surgery was supposed to fix all this.  Again very sad WLS does not fix these issues.

Thank you for sharing!!!!

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1783 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1875 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2558 views