Post-Op Recovery Questions

Spezza_Fan
on 2/8/10 9:37 pm - Gatineau, Canada
Hello Ladies,
I have read several posts on the recovery time after surgery but wanted to know what the Dr.'s suggested to you girls. How much time did you girls have to take off work to make a full recovery. How much time before you can do sports or exercise? Is there any special tips and tricks they mention that I should know about? I'm just curious as I wait patiently for my call.

Thanks in advance.
Derek -xxx-
salem4444
on 2/8/10 11:59 pm - Canada
Hi Derek,  I forgot to ask my surgeon about work, but I asked Dr garneau yesterday and he said to me he is usually giving 4 weeks I will see Dr Denis march 9 th so I am off work till then. I know that it takes up to 3 weeks, to heal completely inside, so I wouldn't try to do exer****s that involve weight lifting or abdominal muscles befor that, because leaks could happen usually til 3 weeks... But I think walking, or soft cardio could be done gradually after one week. It's just how I feel and what I read, because I didn't ask the doctor.  Maybe Brenda can help us here...
                                              HW 320 SW 299  goal W 150 CW 138 (5' 7 " ) 
At Goal !!!

Brenda B.
on 2/9/10 2:05 am - Gaspé, Canada
Hey gang,

My surgeon suggested four weeks convalescence and I took six weeks.  I was still feeling major exhaustion post op and I am not sure if it was simply due to the surgery, lack of food intake or my heart condition or a mixture of everything. I am a social worker in a hospital setting and the first week back I came home, ate and went to bed around 8:00pm. I was useless :). Then everything fell into place.  I only started regular exercise at three months out when I had loss enough weight but again that was due to my heart issues.  I always walked regularly so I had kepted that up. I know that Dr.Christou encourages exercising from the onset.  Some of the other OH members do more strenous cardio earlier out but I couldn't.  Sorry I am not much help on this issue.  This is where I am at today (4.5mths post op).  I have been snowshoeing everyweekend  for about one hour at a time for  well over a month now and I also do an arobics(spelling?) class once a week for cardio and then I walk on the other nights. I think I could do more physically speaking but I am having a tough time squeezing my workouts in.  I guess it depends on your fitness level going into surgery.

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

yayawhat
on 2/9/10 6:48 am - Canada
Hi Guys,

Like Diane and Brenda have already said it seems to be 4 weeks of in the doctors letter they give you for work. While I had a rough first week of surgery, this week against the doctors orders or my family's pleas I did go back to work yesterday. As Brenda mentioned I exremely tired, but enjoy getting back to my normal routine because it's actually making me feel more normal if that makes sense.

In terms of movement, I think a month is what they advise, but it's all relative today I walked my dog for about 45 min and felt good, not tired or sore. I'm also eating and drinking much more normally (no sipping) but I don't have ANY appetite and have to schedule eating or else I'll just not.

And NSV (non scale victory) I went into work and they LOST it, your face is so thin, what happened, you've lost weight..I told them I was having surgery for some fibroids but not WLS surgery so I blamed it on that but it's nice to know that they noticed.

salem4444
on 2/9/10 7:47 am - Canada
Wow, glad for you being back to work, but take it easy, don't force yourself... The doctor told me that
I will be tired for a certain time, because I have to move a large body, with approximatively a quarter of the calories I need.

Glad for you you can eat more normally, I dream of the day I will be able to eat something other than jello.!!! I am beginning to be hungry now...I tried a creamy soup today, but it was really painful after. Can you give me an example of what you can eat, so I can encourage myself for the next step...

YEAAAAAAAH for your NSV !!!! It's funny, the face seems to be the first place to lose!  My husband told me the same thing yesterday, my face is less round... Imagine that in a few months!!!
Way to go girl!

((hugs))
Diane

At Goal !!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/10 6:52 am - Sioux Falls, SD
2 weeks babe, 2 weeks.
Spezza_Fan
on 2/10/10 5:54 am - Gatineau, Canada

Thanks Sooner! Hope all is well with you! I haven't seen an update in a while! Glad your still checking up on me too.

Gabriella21
on 2/9/10 12:42 pm - Roxboro, Canada
Wow...3-4 weeks...I was kinda hoping to be back at work at the max by 2 weeks. I can hope that all will go well and since my job is not physical maybe start back slowly sooner.

I actually have a question...Do they ever weigh you? Before or after? 'Cause I honestly have no clue how much I weigh at this time and that's kinda important when one begins this journey.

Thanks!! xoxo
salem4444
on 2/10/10 11:07 am - Canada
They weighted me the second day post-op, to calculate the dosage of some medications. I don't know if they do that for everybody. If you live near the hospital,  maybe you can call Martine, and make an appointment to be weigh, she has a scale in her office for "real " people!

Yesterday, I was feeling ok, I could have worked if office work, but today, I was so tired, I slept all day!! I prefer to take it easy, I have the chance to take my time to return to work...and my work can be physically demanding sometimes.  But many  returns to work after 2 weeks.
I don't know if the starting weight has to do with it, when we are heavier, we need more energy to move, maybe we can be tired longer ??? Just a thought...

((hugs))
Diane
At Goal !!!

Brenda B.
on 2/10/10 5:50 am - Gaspé, Canada

ADA, they never weighed me prior to surgery so I would definately go get weighed somewhere or invest in a scale......you'll need to monitor your weight loss victories.....they help so much with morale on tough days :) Also, my surgeon suggested two weeks to four weeks depending on your work situation and health premiums.

Also, nice to see someone new post. Welcome to the gang!

Brenda B, HW 328 PreSW 298 CW 156 Goal 165 
AT GOAL..................NORMAL BMI! DOING THE HAPPY DANCE

Most Active